400 amp install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideas and inputs on a 400 amp service.

I am installing one of those GE 400 amp meter combo's with 2- 200 amp breakers in it. It's actually called a 320a continuos type combo. It was high at $1700. I am still shopping for something cheaper. Someone told me they found one for $500 and i find that hard to believe.

I am going to connect the line side with 600 aluminum and leave load side breakers with 2- 4/0 ser al for my 2- 200amp panels in the basement. My question is has anyone did this a better and less expensive way and how much did you pay for the combo?

Also did you use a #6 copper for your 2 ground rods continuos to the meter like we normally use for 200 amp services or did you run a 1/0 copper to both ground rods?

Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
masterinbama said:
just bought a combo from Milbank here for $615 tax and all. As for the ground1-1/0 is what you need

1/0 is for the gec to the water pipes not the ground rod. #6 is fine to the rods.

jrannis

Brad Baxter said:

I am installing one of those GE 400 amp meter combo's with 2- 200 amp breakers in it. It's actually called a 320a continuos type combo. It was high at $1700. I am still shopping for something cheaper. Someone told me they found one for $500 and i find that hard to believe.

I am going to connect the line side with 600 aluminum and leave load side breakers with 2- 4/0 ser al for my 2- 200amp panels in the basement. My question is has anyone did this a better and less expensive way and how much did you pay for the combo?

Also did you use a #6 copper for your 2 ground rods continuos to the meter like we normally use for 200 amp services or did you run a 1/0 copper to both ground rods?

Thanks.

Are the lugs big enought for 600s?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Brad Baxter said:

What's hard to believe is the price. Does your supplier not stock these. If not I have usually gone the route of a 320 amp meter base with 2- 200 amp main panel, 8 cir. with feed thru lugs on the exterior then I feed the interior panels thru the main lugs. This also gives me spares outside to feed a/c, swimming pool etc.

In this scenarior you would only need a #2 to the water pipes and a #6 to the ground rod as stated above.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
my 400A w/ 2x200A CB's;

1x 400A Meter Base = $0 (from poco)
2x 200A Disconnects w/ Main = $230

hillbilly

Brad Baxter said:
I am going to connect the line side with 600 aluminum and leave load side breakers with 2- 4/0 ser al for my 2- 200amp panels in the basement.

If this is a single family dwelling, I don't think that you can use the 4/0 al for the feeders to the 200A panels.
When you go to 2 feeders, you can't use 310.15(B)(6).

Just my opinion
steve

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
hillbilly said:
If this is a single family dwelling, I don't think that you can use the 4/0 al for the feeders to the 200A panels.

steve

Steve, 4/0 aluminum is good for 180 amps. As long as the calculated load at each panel is less than or equal to 180 amps you can use the next size breaker--- 200 amps.

480sparky

brantmacga said:
my 400A w/ 2x200A CB's;

1x 400A Meter Base = $0 (from poco)
2x 200A Disconnects w/ Main = $230

And the remaining parts & material to put that all together, plus labor, would be.....?

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
480sparky said:
And the remaining parts & material to put that all together, plus labor, would be.....?

Rest of the parts, cable = $60 or less
Labor to assemble & hang = 1.5 hrs

Huh?

Huh?

hillbilly said:

Just my opinion
steve

I'm running 1 SER 4/0 AL TO ONE 200AMP PANEL in the basement AND ANOTHER SER 4/0 AL TO THE OTHER PANEL in the basement. What are you confused about?

Why only a #2

Why only a #2

Dennis Alwon said:
What's hard to believe is the price. Does your supplier not stock these. If not I have usually gone the route of a 320 amp meter base with 2- 200 amp main panel, 8 cir. with feed thru lugs on the exterior then I feed the interior panels thru the main lugs. This also gives me spares outside to feed a/c, swimming pool etc.

In this scenarior you would only need a #2 to the water pipes and a #6 to the ground rod as stated above.

Why only a #2 to the water pipe? My largest conductor is a 600AL and the chart matches a 1/0

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Brad Baxter said:
Why only a #2 to the water pipe? My largest conductor is a 600AL and the chart matches a 1/0

Well I have never heard of using the wire on the line side of the meter. 250.66 is for service entrance not service laterals or drops.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
jimman said:
4/0 SER is rated for only 150 amps. Remember, you must use the 60 deg column for ampacity.

Good point. This is true if it is under the 08 code. Somehow I never think se cable since I rarely use it.

Jim's statement is backed up in art. 338.10(A) which references Part II of art. 334. Art. 334.80 states 60C.

ceb58

Dennis Alwon said:
Good point. This is true if it is under the 08 code. Somehow I never think se cable since I rarely use it.

Jim's statement is backed up in art. 338.10(A) which references Part II of art. 334. Art. 334.80 states 60C.

Would this still apply? The SER is being used as feeders not service entrance. He will be feeding two 200amp sub panels from the breakers on the 400amp meter combo. I think this discussion is why NC is taking the code change back to the building code committee

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
ceb58 said:
Would this still apply? The SER is being used as feeders not service entrance. He will be feeding two 200amp sub panels from the breakers on the 400amp meter combo. I think this discussion is why NC is taking the code change back to the building code committee

The reason NC is taking it back to the committee is because of Terry Cromer who has been very active in this fight. His contention is that UL tested se cable at 75C at 100% for over 3 hours . Se is rarely used at 100% and never for 3 hours. I imagine that it can be used in commercial use for over 3 hours but generally it is rated at 125% of the loads being served.

Anyway many inspectors hate this rule but as it is written the se cable used as a feeder must be rated at 60C if it is used in the interior of a building. For some reason on the exterior it is stil rated 90C but used at 75C .

ceb58

Dennis Alwon said:
The reason NC is taking it back to the committee is because of Terry Cromer who has been very active in this fight. His contention is that UL tested se cable at 75C at 100% for over 3 hours . Se is rarely used at 100% and never for 3 hours. I imagine that it can be used in commercial use for over 3 hours but generally it is rated at 125% of the loads being served.

Anyway many inspectors hate this rule but as it is written the se cable used as a feeder must be rated at 60C if it is used in the interior of a building. For some reason on the exterior it is stil rated 90C but used at 75C .

I agree this is something that needs looking at again. I was talking with an inspector the other day and he was of the understanding that it could still be used as feeders and rated in the 75c. indoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.