400 amp main

Status
Not open for further replies.

SAP

Does anybody have any experience with pg&e, pg&e failed us on there site visit for interconnection, we did not put a external disco, I read on there site that if it is a self contained meter then I don't need a disco, Pg&e did not pass us because we did not put a disco, they failed us based 400 amp main breaker I believe it is 320 amps continuous, I wanted to get some input before I email them back, if you google (when do I need a external disconnect for Pg&e solar there site will show up and it clearly states self contain single phase residential do not need disco thank you

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Are you 100% sure it's a self contained meter and not a CT meter? I agree it should not be an issue if it's self contained. They haven't been requiring discos for that for about 5 years.

SAP

Yes I'm sure , I even called Pge planing and gave them clients account they confirmed that it was self contained, I'm thinking he seen the 400 amp main not knowing it is 320 amps continuous, from my knowledge if the service amps is higher then 320 amps continuous then there policy is they CT the meter, thank you

jaggedben

Occupation
Did they fail for a service rating issue, or a disconnect (or both)? I don't see what the service rating has to do with with the disconnect question. What's your backfeed and is this a supply side connection?

iwire

Staff member
from my knowledge if the service amps is higher then 320 amps continuous then there policy is they CT the meter,

If the load was more than 320 continuous the NEC would require a service larger than 400 amps unless you used a 100% rated main breaker.

in other words you would be into a 500 or 600 amp service so of course you would not use a 320/400 self contained socket.

SAP

Did they fail for a service rating issue, or a disconnect (or both)? I don't see what the service rating has to do with with the disconnect question. What's your backfeed and is this a supply side connection?
We did not put a external photovoltaic AC disconnect. based on Pg&e requirements, which states no AC disconnect for self contained meter, Pg&e failed permission to operate because we did not install a AC disco, we have self contained meter, 80 amp back breaker. No taps

jaggedben

Occupation
If there's nothing you're leaving out, I'd say you ran into someone who hasn't kept up with the program. Maybe they sent someone out to verify something unrelated, or to change an analog meter to a digital one, and the guy used to do these inspections 5 years ago and doesn't realize that the rules have changed. An email to snemhelp@pge.com might help clear things up.

tyab

https://www.pge.com/includes/docs/p...lity/electrictransmission/handbook/060559.pdf

Look on page 2 and 3. If you don't meet all of the exception requirements on page 3 you need a dedicated disconnect and it must be one of these:

https://www.pge.com/includes/docs/p...ransmission/handbook/CrossReference_Eaton.pdf
https://www.pge.com/includes/docs/p...mission/handbook/disconnectswitchcrossref.pdf

Oh and notice this in the language on page 3 first sentence: "... may be exempted ... as determined by PG&E."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.