400 amp service Adding load

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have a situation. Want to install block heaters in rear of yard. 700 feet +

Now exist 400 amp service. CT and Meter exterior of building with no main, as shown in drawing. Main for The 400 feed to service is underslab from CT/Meter to center of Building. Where main is installed 400 amp where exists slab

Want to Add 200 amp 3 phase main for the Remote block heater panel on load side of CT cabinet. Can I tap and add disconnect here. Or will I have Grouping issues?

Building layout.jpg

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would check the loads. If the power company is okay with the CT base that is there then I would just run my conduit into the CT and add the disconnect out by the new load.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I would check the loads. If the power company is okay with the CT base that is there then I would just run my conduit into the CT and add the disconnect out by the new load.

So if he adds the OCPD by the new load then he will not have Ground Fault protection on the new conductors that he installs, Correct?

IMO, If POCO allows you a tap, then I would install a OCPD by the meter then run feeder out to the load.

Last edited:

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
It seems these are Service Conductors, so no fault protection would be there by design. This sounds like a 230.40 exception 2 or 3 install. Exception 3 fits, but is restricted to single family dwellings. Exception 2 requires grouping of disconnects. May need to see if the POCO allows this outside of the NEC (not sure where the Service point is and where POCO stops and NEC begins).

If he put a disconnect by the CT can, I think he has a grouping problem -- all service disconnects at a given building must be grouped. He already has one disconnect inside the building.

Last edited:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It seems these are Service Conductors, so no fault protection would be there by design. This sounds like a 230.40 exception 2 or 3 install. Exception 3 fits, but is restricted to single family dwellings. Exception 2 requires grouping of disconnects. May need to see if the POCO allows this outside of the NEC (not sure where the Service point is and where POCO stops and NEC begins).

If he put a disconnect by the CT can, I think he has a grouping problem -- all service disconnects at a given building must be grouped. He already has one disconnect inside the building.

Isn't the rule all the disconnects for a building have to be grouped. Not all disconnects for a service.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Isn't the rule all the disconnects for a building have to be grouped. Not all disconnects for a service.

I believe that is the case. IMO this install should be compliant as I laid it out. The wires on the load side are service conductors and do not need overcurrent protective device till it gets to the remote load

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

No fault protection, Its only 400. I believe you have to have 800 or 1000 for fault protection

Fordean

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe that is the case. IMO this install should be compliant as I laid it out. The wires on the load side are service conductors and do not need overcurrent protective device till it gets to the remote load

Thanks, Even though its on the load side of ct. Hope I drew this clearly and understandable.

Thanks for response

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Yep, the load side of the CT, like the load side of a meter, may or may not be on the consumer side of POCO's "service point", but they are still service conductors until they reach the disconnect (and the associated OCPD).

Status
Not open for further replies.