400 amp service disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im hooking up a 400 amp service to a 6000 sq foot building and having trouble finding a source for the disconnect shown in the attached pdf. Power company requires a box with a 400 amp breaker with a maximum of 8 additional slots. Is it allowable to use a box with just a 400 amp breaker and make multiple connections with 4/0 4/0 2/0 to connect to different 200 amp panels in the building? If so are you limited to only 2 200 amp load centers or can you install 3 or 4 since the service has the 400 amp breaker? I called the engineer at the power company and he told me they didnt care what we did after the 400 amp breaker. This county basically has no local code regulations, no permits required, no inspections, nothing.

Attachments

• electric.pdf.pdf
    91.5 KB · Views: 0

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you have only the 400 amp breaker then you will need to comply with the 240.21 tap rules for conductors connected to it that have an ampacity of less than 400 amps.
If you have the added breaker spaces you can size your feeders to match those breakers and run any lenght.
Most all gear manufacturers can supply you with a 400 amp main and sub-feed or branch breakers.

Im hooking up a 400 amp service to a 6000 sq foot building and having trouble finding a source for the disconnect shown in the attached pdf. Power company requires a box with a 400 amp breaker with a maximum of 8 additional slots. Is it allowable to use a box with just a 400 amp breaker and make multiple connections with 4/0 4/0 2/0 to connect to different 200 amp panels in the building? If so are you limited to only 2 200 amp load centers or can you install 3 or 4 since the service has the 400 amp breaker? I called the engineer at the power company and he told me they didnt care what we did after the 400 amp breaker. This county basically has no local code regulations, no permits required, no inspections, nothing.

I am not really clear on what they want. Seems like you are saying they want an outdoor panelboard with a main disconnect AND 8 additional spaces. I am not sure why they would care about have circuits available there. As augie said you can certainly order a 400 amp 3R panelboard with whatever breakers and spaces you want. You could also look at 400 amp/class 320 meter mains (I am not familiar with what is available in those). Another option may be to install "bussed gutter" either before or after the meter depending on what you are trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.