400 AMP Service Suply

Status
Not open for further replies.

shansen

New User
Occupation
Architecture
Hi all,
First off I am an architect doing my own owner-builder drawings. I have done a ton of research and read through the forum but apologies up front for any architectural ignorance I have or my colleagues may have presented in the past.

I have designed a small house but all-electric (heated floors, AC, hot tub, EV charging, extra 220 for welder, 30&50 amp trailer plugs, and the usual stuff). I will also have solar to offset the total usage (I have factored in the 120 rule for this). Because of the large amount of electrical usage, my calculation totals 350 amps.
I used the old code calculation of (((Total load - 10,000 - Largest Appliance) *0.4) + 10,000 + Largest Appliance) / 240 rather than the new way of calculating based on the appliance's actual load. This seemed simpler and would over calculate (I have plans to add on later so over calculating now is ok).

Based on the definition that a continuous load is something that will operate for more than 3 hours the only things I have are EV charging, Lighting, and maybe the oven (everything else should cycle on/off in less than 3 hours).

The building department has accepted my drawings and I have a permit. The electrical company just got back to me with my line extension from the street. I have requested a 400 amp service but they are going to provide 320 because the 400 amp panel has a 320 amp meter base. Based on all of my research a 400 amp panel can handle 400 amps of non-continuous load. Would I need 400 amps of service to use 400 amps of non-continuous power or will the 320 suffice? When I talked to the electrical company the designer doing my extension drawings seemed confused about how much power to provide.

Thank you for any help you are able to provide,
Steven

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
320A is the standard meter base for a "400A" service.
Just because a panel is rated for 400A doesn't mean you HAVE TO use all 400A, in fact you will probably never get even close.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Hi all,
First off I am an architect doing my own owner-builder drawings. I have done a ton of research and read through the forum but apologies up front for any architectural ignorance I have or my colleagues may have presented in the past.

I have designed a small house but all-electric (heated floors, AC, hot tub, EV charging, extra 220 for welder, 30&50 amp trailer plugs, and the usual stuff). I will also have solar to offset the total usage (I have factored in the 120 rule for this). Because of the large amount of electrical usage, my calculation totals 350 amps.
I used the old code calculation of (((Total load - 10,000 - Largest Appliance) *0.4) + 10,000 + Largest Appliance) / 240 rather than the new way of calculating based on the appliance's actual load. This seemed simpler and would over calculate (I have plans to add on later so over calculating now is ok).

Based on the definition that a continuous load is something that will operate for more than 3 hours the only things I have are EV charging, Lighting, and maybe the oven (everything else should cycle on/off in less than 3 hours).

The building department has accepted my drawings and I have a permit. The electrical company just got back to me with my line extension from the street. I have requested a 400 amp service but they are going to provide 320 because the 400 amp panel has a 320 amp meter base. Based on all of my research a 400 amp panel can handle 400 amps of non-continuous load. Would I need 400 amps of service to use 400 amps of non-continuous power or will the 320 suffice? When I talked to the electrical company the designer doing my extension drawings seemed confused about how much power to provide.

Thank you for any help you are able to provide,
Steven

I will answer a few questions.

Pretty much nothing in a home is considered continuous for a service calculation.

A 400 amp meter means that it can handle 400 amps non-continuous load but only 320 amps continuous loads so that is not an issue. The issue will be the size conductors you bring to the service disconnect.

Tell the power company to provide 400 amps and they have their own calculations for their wire size. Generally it will be alot smaller than the NEC requires.

Since this is diy we cannot help you with design or wire sizes etc... sorry for that. I believe I answered your questions so I am closing this thread.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
This NEC® Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Knowledge and the practical application of the National Electrical Code is an essential part of all electrical installations. If it's important for you to understand the National Electrical Code, then look no further.

To better help us serve you, please be sure to update your account details with your occupation field and location if you have not done so already. You can access your account details by clicking on your account name at the top right of the page when on the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.