400 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am installing a 400 amp service in a commercial location. Utility is providing the underground lateral. I have two 200 amp panels internally. I researched 310-16 and it looks as I should come out of the meter to each disconnecting means with 3/0 feeders. Each internal panel has a 200 amp main also. I was going to nipple from the meter base with 2" to disconnects outside. The panels are about 30 feet internally. I believe I need the external 200 amp disconnects. Should I use 200 amp main lug panels or stay with the main breakers there also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The main disconnects must be main breaker or a max of 6 disconnects. I usually use a wp trailer panel. This has 8 cir. plus feed thru lugs that you use to feed the indoor panels. 3/0 is sufficient

kwired

Electron manager
I am installing a 400 amp service in a commercial location. Utility is providing the underground lateral. I have two 200 amp panels internally. I researched 310-16 and it looks as I should come out of the meter to each disconnecting means with 3/0 feeders. Each internal panel has a 200 amp main also. I was going to nipple from the meter base with 2" to disconnects outside. The panels are about 30 feet internally. I believe I need the external 200 amp disconnects. Should I use 200 amp main lug panels or stay with the main breakers there also.

If the panels are that far inside they likely do not meet the nearest point of entry requirement - though that interpretation varies from one jurisdiction to another. So if they are too far inside then you must have the disconnects you intend to put outside. The interior panels however wouldn't require to contain their own main breaker as long as they have overcurrent protection that doesn't exceed the panel rating on the supply conductors.

A little more detail of what you have may help us answer your questions more accurately.

I was intending to use 2-200 amp trailer panels with main breakers, equipped with pass through lugs to the 200 amp indoor panels. 3/0 feeders and #4 ground from the 400 amp meter base to the trailer panels. Then entering inside to the 200 amp panels with the same size stranded wire. So the main breakers outside will be sufficient and can use 200 amp panels interior with lugs only?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Jason make sure the power company will allow a 400 amp meter base. Often in commercial applications they want a ct cabinet. Also is this location only getting single phase instead of 3 phase?

newservice

Just wondering, wouldn't the meter go outside and the 2 trailer panel service discos immediately inside? Then just 4 wire feeder to the subpanels, no main disco required (but you can if you want).
I do think you need 4/0 Al for the 200A entrance cable. Maybe the 3/0 is ok for feeders to the subpanels?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Just wondering, wouldn't the meter go outside and the 2 trailer panel service discos immediately inside? Then just 4 wire feeder to the subpanels, no main disco required (but you can if you want).
I do think you need 4/0 Al for the 200A entrance cable. Maybe the 3/0 is ok for feeders to the subpanels?

The op is install outdoor trailer panels with a main in each and feed thru lugs. He is not using a main disconnect but rather 2- 200 amp breakers as his disconnecting means.

3/0 al is not okay to the subpanel if you are using feed thru lugs. Even the 4/0 is only good for 180 amps but we are allowed to use the next size up breaker (200 amps) as long as the calculated load is 180 amps or less

newservice

The op is install outdoor trailer panels with a main in each and feed thru lugs. He is not using a main disconnect but rather 2- 200 amp breakers as his disconnecting means.

3/0 al is not okay to the subpanel if you are using feed thru lugs. Even the 4/0 is only good for 180 amps but we are allowed to use the next size up breaker (200 amps) as long as the calculated load is 180 amps or less
I get that he is installing the discos outside, and there will be 2 disconnects, but wouldn't those be called Service disconnects rather than Main disconnects?

Also, and with respect, I don't understand your previous post re 3/0 "The main disconnects must be main breaker or a max of 6 disconnects. I usually use a wp trailer panel. This has 8 cir. plus feed thru lugs that you use to feed the indoor panels. 3/0 is sufficient

kwired

Electron manager
I get that he is installing the discos outside, and there will be 2 disconnects, but wouldn't those be called Service disconnects rather than Main disconnects?

Also, and with respect, I don't understand your previous post re 3/0 "The main disconnects must be main breaker or a max of 6 disconnects. I usually use a wp trailer panel. This has 8 cir. plus feed thru lugs that you use to feed the indoor panels. 3/0 is sufficient
Dennis said 3/0 aluminum would not be acceptable. Pretty sure when OP mentioned 3/0 he was using copper, but did not specifically mention copper or aluminum either.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Most times we don't use Resi Equipment such as combo meter mains for Commercial projects.
Also around here, they wont CT unless the service is 800 amps or more.
Less than 800 amps and your using Self Contained Meter bases with Lever Bypass.

JAP>

newservice

Dennis said 3/0 aluminum would not be acceptable. Pretty sure when OP mentioned 3/0 he was using copper, but did not specifically mention copper or aluminum either.

Looks to me like Dennis's post page 1 specifically says 3/0 is sufficient. No biggie.

kwired

Electron manager
Looks to me like Dennis's post page 1 specifically says 3/0 is sufficient. No biggie.
You must mean post #4. Page number doesn't mean so much since you can change how many post are on one page, I currently have all the posts so far on a single page, you can set it up to 40 posts per page.

Status
Not open for further replies.