400 Hz drop down cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerdT

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I couldn't find anything in NEC book about 400Hz. I was hoping if anyone knows what manufacture provides 400Hz cord reel or if anyone came across to install 400Hz cord reel to the ceiling to share experience?

Thank you.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So far, frequency is not relevant to your question.

But, why would a cord-reel cord be in a raceway?

PowerdT

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
So far, frequency is not relevant to your question.

But, why would a cord-reel cord be in a raceway?

Sorry for confusion. I meant 115Vac, 30A, 400hz coming out of the panel in AL conduit then to the cord reel right?

I have seen 120V, 15A and 20A and I was thinking it will be similar to that.

400 Hz comes with more voltage drop, skin effect and also I was concerned if there is OSHA rule for cord reel requirements

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
Skin effect isn't going to be significant. The skin depth at 400Hz will be almost triple the radius of a 10-gauge copper wire.

And nothing in the code singles out different frequencies. The voltage & current dictate the materials & techniques; frequency is irrelevant.

Last edited:

PowerdT

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Skin effect isn't going to be significant. The skin depth at 400Hz will be almost triple the radius of a 10-gauge copper wire.

And nothing in the code singles out different frequencies. The voltage & current dictate the materials & techniques; frequency is irrelevant.

It will be alumunium wire. If frequency has nothing to do with installing cord reel on ceiling. What other factors should I be worried on the design? Such as safety isssue?

Is Article 400 has cable suitable for this situation?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I read somewhere in different thread that, 400Hz should be in Aluminum

IN aluminum and using aluminum wire mean two completely different things. Was that other thread here? I think somebody may have had the thought that 400Hz should be pulled through aluminum conduit. I don't agree with that. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't make any difference what you use.

-Hal

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... somebody may have had the thought that 400Hz should be pulled through aluminum conduit. ...
"Somebody" might have been "thinking" that the higher frequency would result in higher inductive losses if it were in steel conduit.
But if there's no net current in the bundle of wires in the conduit -- the hot wires are paired with their corresponding return wires -- then there's no net magnetic field generated by the wire bundle and negligible induction losses.

PowerdT

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
IN aluminum and using aluminum wire mean two completely different things. Was that other thread here? I think somebody may have had the thought that 400Hz should be pulled through aluminum conduit. I don't agree with that. As far as I'm concerned it doesn't make any difference what you use.

-Hal

I see, thank you for the information

PowerdT

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
"Somebody" might have been "thinking" that the higher frequency would result in higher inductive losses if it were in steel conduit.
But if there's no net current in the bundle of wires in the conduit -- the hot wires are paired with their corresponding return wires -- then there's no net magnetic field generated by the wire bundle and negligible induction losses.

I believe there was planning to use 8ccc in a conduit.

Status
Not open for further replies.