400 hz fault current calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
When calculating short circuit current for 400 vs. 60 cycle,
is it correct to estimate an increase in impedance by a factor of 7 plus a 10% margin?

bob

garciasr77 said:
When calculating short circuit current for 400 vs. 60 cycle,
is it correct to estimate an increase in impedance by a factor of 7 plus a 10% margin?
It would depend on the length of the circuit. The increase in R , due to skin factor, is not directly related to frequency. X is directly related by 2xPixFxL. If X is much larger that R then you might use the your factor of 7 and be close.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
bob said:
It would depend on the length of the circuit. The increase in R , due to skin factor, is not directly related to frequency. X is directly related by 2xPixFxL. If X is much larger that R then you might use the your factor of 7 and be close.

Skin effect does increase the R as the frequency increases and so it may need to be considered at 400Hz.

bob

jim dungar said:
Skin effect does increase the R as the frequency increases and so it may need to be considered at 400Hz.
Jim
What I should have said is the resistance is not directly proportional to the frequency as is the reactance.
The R is directly related to the frequency.

Last edited:

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
bob said:
Jim
What I should have said is the resistance is not directly proportional to the frequency as is the reactance.
The R is directly related to the frequency.

Boy, how many times I wish I could say what I mean the first time.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.