400A Service with two panels

Wire321

Occupation
Electrician
I am performing a 400A service upgrade using the lugs for 2 conductors to feed 2 x 200A panels.

I can't located anything in the code that doesn't allow this but is there any issue with having branch grounds/neutrals in a different panel than the live conductors?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have done this type of 400 amp service most of my life. I don't understand what you mean by branch circuits grs and neutrals in different panels....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Each panel will have 2 hots and a neutral so the branch circuit neutrals will be connected to the respective panel neutrals.

retirede

Each panel will have 2 hots and a neutral so the branch circuit neutrals will be connected to the respective panel neutrals.

I’m guessing he has one existing panel and wants to move circuits from it to the newly-added one. In that case, the neutrals of those branch circuits must be moved as well. The EGCs could stay, if necessary. But both CCCs of the BC must be landed in the same panel.

Wire321

Occupation
Electrician
I’m guessing he has one existing panel and wants to move circuits from it to the newly-added one. In that case, the neutrals of those branch circuits must be moved as well. The EGCs could stay, if necessary. But both CCCs of the BC must be landed in the same panel.
Exactly the scenario, keeping the ECGs in their original panel will be good enough.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not sure how you could move the ungrounded and grounded conductors for the branch circuits and leave the EGCs in their original location.
300.3(B) Conductors of the Same Circuit.
All conductors of the same circuit and, where used, the grounded conductor and all equipment grounding conductors and bonding conductors shall be contained within the same raceway, conduit body, auxiliary gutter, cable tray, cablebus assembly, trench, cable, or cord unless otherwise permitted in accordance with 300.3(B)(1) through (B)(4).

retirede

Not sure how you could move the ungrounded and grounded conductors for the branch circuits and leave the EGCs in their original location.

I’ve seen it done and didn’t realize it’s a violation.

The example I saw was a subpanel added adjacent to a main panel with a 1-1/2” nipple in between. CCCs from a few circuits from the old panel were extended through the nipple into the new subpanel, but the EGCs left behind.

I’ve seen it done and didn’t realize it’s a violation.

The example I saw was a subpanel added adjacent to a main panel with a 1-1/2” nipple in between. CCCs from a few circuits from the old panel were extended through the nipple into the new subpanel, but the EGCs left behind.
It seems to me that if your nipple between the two panels qualified as a 250.118 EGC than you are free to "transition" from a wire EGC to a cabinet/conduit EGC by terminating the EGC in the ground bar of the first panel no?