400a split (parallel) service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indian_Rdr

Occupation
Electrician
Taking over a job and the service doesn't seem legal to me. What they have is a 400(320) meter base with a 400a non-fused disconnect fed with parallel 3/0s from meter to line side. From the load side of the disconnect, they did 2/0 cu to a 200a panel directly on the other side of the wall and another 200a panel about 100' across the building (same building) also fed with 2/0.

If both panels were located in the same room, to my interpretation, it would be legal. The second panel being 100' away, does the tap rule come into play and need to have an OCPD?

I also have an issue with the disconnect as they are disconnecting both grounded and ungrounded conductors with no means of bonding the neutral and EGC. Since it's the first means of disconnect, it must be bonded there right?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The non-fused disconnect is the service disconnect and the service overcurrent protective device must an integral part of the disconnect or located immediately adjacent thereto. 230.91

This installation does not comply.

Indian_Rdr

Occupation
Electrician
The non-fused disconnect is the service disconnect and the service overcurrent protective device must an integral part of the disconnect or located immediately adjacent thereto. 230.91

This installation does not comply.

Thank you Don for the information. With regard to my last question, per 250.30(1) the service disconnect must also contain bonding between neutral and EGC?

Indian_Rdr

Occupation
Electrician
In addition your 200 amp panels and feeders need to be protected with an a 200 amp OCPD.

Both panels are 200a mains. Would only need OCPD outside if they were both located adjacent to the service (directly in basement) and MLO right? I've always built them that way so that question is more for my knowledge.

In addition, related to my original post, if they were both immediately adjacent OCPD outside would not be necessary as at that point they are service conductors?

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
There are multiple intertwining rules here which affect where the OCPD needs to be. The first is service conductors -- the NEC says those must hit an OCPD at the nearest point of entry into the building. Since that isn't clear, or people don't like the answer that it needs to be a short straight nipple or concrete encased, most jurisdictions define how far into the building you can go before hitting an OCPD on a service conductor. Here in WA it is 15 feet. Some places are 3 feet or 6 feet.

Next is a service where you have multiple disconnects. When having more than one, such as two 200A panels on a 400A service, those disconnects need to be grouped. So you can't put them at opposite ends of the house. What distance "grouped" is isn't defined either, but you need them close where you can seem them all when standing in front of them.

Then you have your outside disconnect requirement (this is new for 2020). If the disconnect doesn't have an OCPD in it, then you are permitted to put them in the downstream panel(s) as long as they are immediately adjacent to that disconnect. Another term not well defined, as most inspectors interpret immediately adjacent to mean on the same side of the wall as the disconnect.

If you put two 200A disconnects (grouped together) on the outside of the building, you could put two 200A MLO panels anywhere you want, inside or outside (no grouping requirements because now you have feeders and not service conductors). So the only issue for what you describe (two 200A main breaker panels inside and grouped) is how long can the service conductors go inside a building before they hit an OCPD. That is jurisdiction specific.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
If you have a 400 amp meter you could put 2 200 amp service disconnects next to the meter. You will then have feeders that can go to MLO panels anywhere you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.