410.42 and 250.110(1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
A metal luminaire is hung 12' above the floor in a restaurant. Picture a mag wheel with 3 spokes and 3 plastic A-base lamp holders mounted through the spokes.

Does this luminaire need an EGC attached?

250.110 Equipment Fastened in Place or Connected by Permanent Wiring Methods (Fixed).
Exposed non?current-carrying metal parts of fixed equipment likely to become energized shall be connected to the equipment grounding conductor under any of the following conditions:
(1) Where within 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically or 1.5 m (5 ft) horizontally of ground or grounded metal objects and subject to contact by persons

410.42 Exposed Luminaire.
(A) Exposed Conductive Parts. Exposed metal parts shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor or insulated from the equipment grounding conductor and other conducting surfaces or be inaccessible to unqualified personnel. Lamp tie wires, mounting screws, clips, and decorative bands on glass spaced at least 38 mm (1? in.) from lamp terminals shall not be required to be grounded.

billsnuff

you've just hit the first of two

you've just hit the first of two

daily-double.jpg

chris kennedy

Occupation
I will take "Of course it does" for $1,000.00

Well done, lets move on to the next category:

'Explain this'

Although I agree that common sense says use an EGC, how does 410 supercede 250?

Chapters 1 through 4 apply generally, except as amended or specifically referenced in Chapters 5, 6, and 7 (Articles 500 through 770).

iwire

Staff member
Well done, lets move on to the next category:

'Explain this'

Although I agree that common sense says use an EGC, how does 410 supercede 250?

Because it does.:D

Honestly I don't know, but I would ground it and not try to split hairs on this.

Different CMPs have different goals and objectives, IMO the CMP for 410 requires the grounding of the fixture.

chris kennedy

Occupation
Even though 251.110 seems to allow not connecting the luminaire to an EGC, 250.134 requires a connection to an EGC.

Wait a minute, does 250.134 apply here?

250.134 Equipment Fastened in Place or Connected by Permanent Wiring Methods (Fixed) ? Grounding.
Unless grounded by connection to the grounded circuit conductor as permitted by 250.32, 250.140, and 250.142, non?current-carrying metal parts of equipment, raceways, and other enclosures, if grounded, shall be connected to an equipment grounding conductor by one of the methods specified in 250.134(A) or (B).
FWIW, I had a discussion with the gentleman doing the install and he will be grounding these.

Status
Not open for further replies.