410.71 - disconnect requirements for 2-ended LED/fluorescent

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
"For indoor locations at other than dwellings and associated accessory structures, fluorescent or LED luminaires that use double-ended lamps and are equipped with ballasts or LED drivers that can be serviced in place must have a disconnecting means either internal or external to each luminaire"

a screw in light bulb or PL-C lamps are "single ended" and the common fluorescent lamps are double ended, as well as LED drop-ins. Now, when it comes to integral ballast LED lamps in tube shape but wired such that its powered using the two pins on one end, is it still "double ended"? If not, is this the reason one end feeding is a common?

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
(When) powered using the two pins on one end, is it still "double ended"? If not, is this the reason one end feeding is a common?
Many EM ballasted lights are listed with proprietary connectors, so retrofit lamps are available that operate either way, powered from end to end, or powered from the 2 pins at same end.

Disconnect requirements, historically required within sight, may also be satisfied by the circuit breaker at the actual fuse box.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
a screw in light bulb or PL-C lamps are "single ended" and the common fluorescent lamps are double ended, as well as LED drop-ins. Now, when it comes to integral ballast LED lamps in tube shape but wired such that its powered using the two pins on one end, is it still "double ended"? If not, is this the reason one end feeding is a common?
When I have converted fluorescents to LEDs, I have not added the little orange plugs.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
"For indoor locations at other than dwellings and associated accessory structures, fluorescent or LED luminaires that use double-ended lamps and are equipped with ballasts or LED drivers that can be serviced in place must have a disconnecting means either internal or external to each luminaire"

I think you are answering your own question.

The rule does not indicate where or how the lamp is fed from.

It indicates "double ended" lamp.

If your 4' double ended lamp didn't have a 2nd end on it, it wouldn't be double ended, and, even if it's for nothing other than support, if not double ended ,how would you keep it from falling out of the fixture? :)

Seems to me the disconnect is required.

Jap>