4160V transformer elbows

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
The H3A elbow appears to be missing its pulling eye. Is the bolt head on the back of the elbow connected to the 4160V phase conductor?

Also, what is the small caps for? I though maybe these were voltage test ports, but looking at some images online, it looks like they cover a screw that goes to the shield.

Attachments

• 4160V Transformer Elbows.jpg
    4160V Transformer Elbows.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 49

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Look down in the dirt in the bottom of the transformer.
Chances are it’s laying there somewhere.
Wash it out, dry it well, put it back on..
If you can’t find it, here..
No thank you. 😊 I'm not above getting in a little dirt, but as an engineer, I'll leave messing with the 5KV stuff to the contractors.

So how are those elbows removed with a hot stick? I take it the missing insulator isn't what is used to pull those off, because it seems like the insulator would pull off the elbow too easy.

Are the insulators removed, and the bolts pulled out, and then a hot stick is threaded into the hole?

I only ask out of curiosity. The only time I've see the contractors remove these, they were dead, and I think they just pulled them off by hand.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
No thank you. 😊 I'm not above getting in a little dirt, but as an engineer, I'll leave messing with the 5KV stuff to the contractors.

So how are those elbows removed with a hot stick? I take it the missing insulator isn't what is used to pull those off, because it seems like the insulator would pull off the elbow too easy.

Are the insulators removed, and the bolts pulled out, and then a hot stick is threaded into the hole?

I only ask out of curiosity. The only time I've see the contractors remove these, they were dead, and I think they just pulled them off by hand.
Those are dead break only elbows.
They are removed by hand.

Loadbreak elbows are removed energized with a hot stick

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
How can you tell the difference between dead break and load break just looking at the photo?
😅😅
35 years of looking at them…

seriously,
there are several differences that can be quickly picked out. One is the lack of a black and white band, two, the lack of pulling eyes, etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.