440V system voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

HecThor

Hello All, Just would like to get your opinion on this, the system voltage of the premises is 440V, the available inverters that we can source out only has 400V and 480V output, if ever I use a 400V inverter and connecting it to 440V system, do I need to use a transformer? How about using 480V? Thanks in advance

beanland

Inverter Range

Inverter Range

Check the dynamic range for the inverter, 440 is 10% below 480. If the inverter is rated for use at 480V +/-10%, then it should operate successfully at 440V. Check the manufacturer literature.

Inverters are current limited so a 480V inverter operated at 440V will have a 10% lower kW rating.

The other option is a boost transformer to change 440V to 480V. The are small for what they do.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Check the dynamic range for the inverter, 440 is 10% below 480. If the inverter is rated for use at 480V +/-10%, then it should operate successfully at 440V. Check the manufacturer literature.

Inverters are current limited so a 480V inverter operated at 440V will have a 10% lower kW rating.

The other option is a boost transformer to change 440V to 480V. The are small for what they do.
It may run at 440V but if the voltage dips even a little bit the inverter will go offline. I'd look at buck/boost transformers to center the voltage in the inverter's range; they aren't that expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.