Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Construction wants to protect two 75kVA dry type transformers 480-120/208V with one, 400A primary over current device. I told them it doesn’t meet NEC 450.3 but they said it’s ok since it’s only for temp construction power...Comments

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
So they are wanting to protect them series wired or parallel wired?

🤔
As an EI, let’s say there was a 75kVA already there and later they wanted to add a 75kVA transformer.
How would you allow that?

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Both are new XFMRs - per 450.3 you have to protect one AND both at 125% or 250% at the same time. Using 400A disc won’t allow it to happen
This is a violation in my opinion and temp power doesn’t make it legal.

Dale001289

Both are new XFMRs - per 450.3 you have to protect one AND both at 125% or 250% at the same time. Using 400A disc won’t allow it to happen

If they changed the primary side OCPD to 225A it would work for either one at 250% - and for both at the same time at 125%

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
590.2 All Wiring Installations.
(A) Other Articles.
Except as specifically modified in this article, all other requirements of this Code for permanent wiring shall apply to temporary wiring installations.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I understand both are new transformers… I was trying to get in a thinking moment with you as an electrical inspector.

I agree it’s a violation..
I think Dale and Don have your answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.