48 VDC on irrigation system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin Melville

New User
Hi,

I'm trying to get a clear view of the NEC section(s) that would cover 48v DC distribution on top of a pivot irrigator. We wish to run 48volts DC, one side grounded, down a large part of the length of a pivot irrigator. In most countries this is legal and covered by the ELV directive allowing <50 volts DC with few sensible rules.

We use 4 sq mm 3 core mains cable, close to that designated UL SOOW, which is actually a waterproof heavy power cable, rated at 600 volts and 25 amps. It needs to be a cable this heavy/tough because of corrosive liquids (irrigators don't always spray pure water), wind, rain, UV....

We actually run approx. 250VA, 48 volts, limited to 5 amps. We clip / strap this cable to the main water pipe, well away from the 3 phase power cable also running down the same path. Total length typically 1500 feet. Minimum 15 feet above ground, ranging to 25ft, and accessible with a ladder only.

Our safety consultant tells us we are limited to 30 volts, 100va, and the cable must be screened. (Class 1 circuit, Article 725.41).

I'd appreciate any opinions from anyone here -- I just don't read 725 the same way he does.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Just because the voltage is low, it does not require you to make it conform to low power factor circuit rules.

If you follow the Chapter 3 methods appropriate to the voltage and current you will also be OK.

This does mean that you must have a justification to use flexible cordage unless you can argue that the cord is part (field assembled or factory installed) of the whole center pivot machine, in which case NEC might not even apply.

The requirement for flexibility following out along the arm might be enough.

Tapatalk...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If the power supply is not listed and marked as a Class 2 or 3 circuit, then it is an Article 725 Class 1 circuit and you are required to use a Chapter 3 wiring method per 725.46.

Status
Not open for further replies.