480V 3 ph calc for Panelboard loading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
On a three phase, 4W 480/277V Panelboard they are showing a 3P Branch CB with a load of 37411VA for the RTU, which equates to 45A, total. For phases A, B and C they’re also showing 45A per phase. But shouldn’t this be 15A per phase for a total of 45A?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
For purpose of overcurrent protection, a 45A breaker is like 3 single pole 45A breakers tied together with common trip.

Similarly a 45A three phase load has three 45A currents feeding it.

-Jon

kwired

Electron manager
Use 15 amp conductors and see how warm they get? ;)

Or how long a 15 amp OCPD will hold.

37411 / 480 = about 78 amps, that is what it would be if it were single phase. Balanced three phase splits up and by factor of the square root of three, so divide that ~78 by 1.732 and you get your ~45.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Use 15 amp conductors and see how warm they get? ;)

Or how long a 15 amp OCPD will hold.

37411 / 480 = about 78 amps, that is what it would be if it were single phase. Balanced three phase splits up and by factor of the square root of three, so divide that ~78 by 1.732 and you get your ~45.

Or I could argue 3 x 45A = 135A in which case I’d need #1/0 for the Branch ckt...
I know it doesn’t work that way. Each ph carries 45A and for load purposes it is still loaded as total 45A

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Or I could argue 3 x 45A = 135A in which case I’d need #1/0 for the Branch ckt...
I know it doesn’t work that way. Each ph carries 45A and for load purposes it is still loaded as total 45A

Yeah, it's just like single phase. With balanced single phase when one line current is at its maximum the same current is coming back on the other line. With balanced three phase when any phase current is at its maximum the same current is coming back split between the other two phases.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
Yeah, it's just like single phase. With balanced single phase when one line current is at its maximum the same current is coming back on the other line. With balanced three phase when any phase current is at its maximum the same current is coming back split between the other two phases.

Im not an engineer BUT something about 120 degrees comes to mind - ie pulsating back and forth as you’ve noted

kwired

Electron manager

Actually you a little bit on the right track, you essentially have three 45A loads @ 277 volts = 37395 VA. close to same VA, rounding being the reason for differences. (480 x sq rt of 3 = approximately 277)

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Im not an engineer BUT something about 120 degrees comes to mind - ie pulsating back and forth as you’ve noted
Yes, if you look at a three phase waveform, whenever any of the traces is at its positive maximum the other two (plus and minus 120 degrees) are at their negative maximum divided by two. Similarly, if you look at a split phase waveform, whenever one trace is at its positive maximum the other is at its negative maximum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.