480v to 240v

Status
Not open for further replies.

evchargers

I have a sub contractor that has a 1000Amp 480/277ZV 3phase main. I need to step this down to 240v, so I can connect several EV chargers. The current breaker size on the 480v side is 200A single phase. I need to chage this over to 3phase 200Amp, what size stepdown xfmr do I need in order to have atleast 225A at 240v? 100 Kva do the trick? Thanks

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
In general terms, if the 240v chargers are 3 phase so you have equal distribution, 100 kva
would be correct, however, other variables such as PF need to be taken into account.
The selection should be determined by an engineer.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have a sub contractor that has a 1000Amp 480/277ZV 3phase main. I need to step this down to 240v, so I can connect several EV chargers. The current breaker size on the 480v side is 200A single phase. I need to chage this over to 3phase 200Amp, what size stepdown xfmr do I need in order to have atleast 225A at 240v? 100 Kva do the trick? Thanks

You have an ELECTRICAL subcontractor doing this and he can't figure that out? Or if you have a non-electrical sub contractor doing it, therein lies your problem. Hire the right person for the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.