5 volts 1000 amps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How can 5 volts produce 1000amps?How can you get the resistance that low?
It can be done with many parallel loads, or just very low impedances, using larger-gauge conductors and high-current devices. Ohm's Law still applies:

R = E / I = 5 / 1000 = 0.005 ohms

Look at high-powered car stereos. While only delivering 12v (13.2v to 13.4v, actually), current is in abundance, so they design very low-impedance speakers to permit more current at a given voltage.

Modern high-powered car amplifiers actually contain DC-to-DC power supplies that use near-household-amplifier voltages, but the input is still many amps at 12v.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
While only delivering 12v (13.2v to 13.4v, actually)
Actually, 12.6V is the open circuit voltage of a 100% charged automotive 12 volt lead acid battery... 6 cells at approximately 2.1 volts each. Voltage above that is charging voltage of the alternator, which can approach 15 volts on some vehicles. 14.4 volts is considered the level at which outgassing occurs.

Modern high-powered car amplifiers actually contain DC-to-DC power supplies that use near-household-amplifier voltages, but the input is still many amps at 12v.
Yep. I have one of them. It's output is rated 2 ? 5,000W into1 ohm loads (or 1 ? 10,000W bridged into a 2 ohm load).
W = E? ? R

E = √(W ? R) = √(10,000 ? 2) = 70.7 volts​
As for current draw...
Isource ≈ Wout ? Esource = 10,000 ? 12 = 833A​

...likely higher since no amplifier is 100% efficient. It appearrs to have four "stacked" power supplies internal to the unit. Recommended fusing for each of the four power inputs is 250A.

Besoeker

broadgage

Currents of 1,000 amps or more at only a few volts used to be common for electroplating plants.
The tradditional way to obtain this was by means of a six phase transformer, which is disscussed on a recent thread.
The even older way would be a very low voltage, high current dynamo driven by either a line voltage motor or an engine.

Modern IT equipment could well have a total load of 1,000 amps at 5 volts, but it would be usuall to have a number of PSUs spaced around the server or other equipment, not a single large supply.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)

Those speakers have to be a minor marvel of engineering. You would think they would self-destruct.
(not to mention the marvle of ear driums):D

Cold Fusion

Those speakers have to be a minor marvel of engineering. You would think they would self-destruct.
Unfortunately, they don't.

However, the shades of Tesla spoke to me some time back. I'm designing an LV UHA supply to power a mobile, magnetic phased array. It should be powerful enough to shred the voice coils from the thumpers driving by me. If not, the array should be steerable using pulse phasing and it possibbly could tear off the offender's car door. That one is tricky, one has to set the pulse timming to reverse before the door hits my car

Best of all, I can power it with -----

cf

Besoeker

Currents of 1,000 amps or more at only a few volts used to be common for electroplating plants).
It still is.The picture I posted a link to (taken during the build stage) is one half of of a 20,000A system we made last year.
It actually uses two 6-phase transformers phase displaced from each other to get 12-pulse operation.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Yep. I have one of them. It's output is rated 2 ? 5,000W into1 ohm loads (or 1 ? 10,000W bridged into a 2 ohm load).
You could drive that with a 1KHz signal and weld with it. I once read an article about someone doing that with a Mark Levinson amp.

As for current draw...833A

Recommended fusing for each of the four power inputs is 250A.​
If that current was constant, the fusing wouldn't be NEC compliant. :D

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You could drive that with a 1KHz signal and weld with it. I once read an article about someone doing that with a Mark Levinson amp.
Not at 1 kHz. It's a D-class dual mono block (translation: 2-channel subwoofer amp) with an upper frequency cutoff at 250 Hz.

If that current was constant, the fusing wouldn't be NEC compliant. :D
Yep... but it's not constant. So being a non-continuous load, fusing at 100% is permitted. :grin: But 833/4 is not a standard fuse rating, so I have to go with the next higher standard rating of 4?250A :grin::grin::grin:

mull982

I would assume that the opposite is true as well in the case of high voltage and low current. The high voltage has a very large source inmedence thus limiting the current to a very small amount.

A stun gun is an example that comes to mind discharging 10,000V with a low current in the mA range?

Besoeker

Many industrial spot welders operate at 5 volts and up to 3000 amps.

The 5 volt electrode supply is stepped down from (usually) 480 volt three phase.
Most of the high current stuff we make is for anodising and plating - typically 35V and 10kA dc.
As it happens, we have a project at the moment for a welding application. It has both spot and continuous weld modes of operation. It is designed to give up to 10V and 7kA. Also dc. It isn't a whole lot of power but, with currents at that level, the physical design needs special care.

Status
Not open for further replies.