50-20 Quad Breaker like you never seen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbsparky

My guess

My guess

My guess is that the internal trip mechanisms are properly set, it's only the handles that were installed on the wrong places.

Makes for an interesting conversation piece, in any case :grin:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Dan, you do not disappoint. Roger has a picture of a 50/35 (or something like that) breaker, that's just a two pole. I think your quad wins. :D

It could be used with more handle-tying, but I think most folks would pass on that. ;)

I tend to agree with Ken, the guts are probably correct, it's probably the handles mismarked. Makes more sense in my mind.

hardworkingstiff

georgestolz said:
I tend to agree with Ken, the guts are probably correct, it's probably the handles mismarked. Makes more sense in my mind.

I think I would look at it differently.

These quads are made up of two twins tied together. The twins are made 20/50 & 50/20 (or 50/20 & 20/50). It looks like an ignorant manufacturer just took the same twin (50/20), put different labeling on the breaker (not the handle) and tied them together.

Jim W in Tampa

hardworkingstiff said:
I think I would look at it differently.

These quads are made up of two twins tied together. The twins are made 20/50 & 50/20 (or 50/20 & 20/50). It looks like an ignorant manufacturer just took the same twin (50/20), put different labeling on the breaker (not the handle) and tied them together.

EXACTLY my thoughts

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
kbsparky said:
My guess is that the internal trip mechanisms are properly set, it's only the handles that were installed on the wrong places.

Makes for an interesting conversation piece, in any case :grin:

I have had these along time and it just ocurred to me that it is most likely the handles that are wrong because if you look at the labling on the face it is different on the right and left. I don't see that this unit could be legally installed because you would not know if the trip mechinism is correct or the handle rating. Maybe to an hvac unit. I still think the value is in the novelty.I will test it and see what it trips at. It sould be an easy test with a clamp on meter.

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Hey Jim,

Don't get yourself Westinghoused...

Thomas Edison

More to the story here...

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
{Moderator's note: This post has been deleted, as being an attempt at humor that went beyond the bounds of good taste.}

Last edited by a moderator:

donselectric

i just used a ite q23030nc which is a quad 30.
a lot of trailers use these typ of panels,
nothing but duplex and quads all listed and labeled
for the panel. they have their purpose i guess
i needed it cause the a/c guy disconnected the dryer and
put his own breaker in and i was'nt tearing the trailer apart
for a panel change for 2 spaces.

that looks like an old bryant

:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.