50 cans

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradleyelectric

I do agree though that price checks with no intention of using me as the contractor is a waste of my time, resources and patience. But if I was on the recieving end of a call to install 50 recessed lights, then that is a large enough job that I would actively try to take it from the other guy.

My main point here is that if I was personally writing a check for someone to work on my house, and the quote given was $7,500, then I would get another quote, and I'm pretty sure 90% of the people reading this would too, especially if you had doubts on the price.

At a job of this size and I couldn't get the information that they had someone that they felt could do the job for $7500, I'd have been waisting my time to go look at it.

I'm not saying someone couldn't do the job for $6000. 50* 25=$1250 which in most situations will be the bulk of the material cost for general use 6" Progress cans with BR3065Ws.

After having paid bills as a company and looking at what people my age make and do with their money I do understand that at $6000 I would be making more doing 40 for someone else. At $7500 with the description of the scope he can have it.

growler

I do understand that at $6000 I would be making more doing 40 for someone else. At $7500 with the description of the scope he can have it.

And this may well be the GCs price and once you take out 10-15% for the GC then you get's what left for the EC.

Even the designer may be getting a few bucks for useing this particular GC. It's not ethical but it deos happen.

CopperTone

Contractor's bid is $7500 P&L. Seems high to me! I want to support my brothers, but... is this as far out of line as it seems?

Seems high? why? complared to what - did they get other prices? If I understand this original question - you are an electrician but dont want to do the work? or you dont work in residential? Or you don't want to help your brother?

Most of the time when people say that "it seems high" what they really are saying is "I had no idea what it would cost and I under budgeted for this" . They really had no idea what it would cost so when the real number arrives it "seems high" because it is higher than they imagined it might be or wanted it to be - but that doesn't make the price "too high" It is what it is.

I suggest cutting in half the amount of recessed lights if you want the price to be less.

ceb58

The OP, although an elect., doesn't contract for a living. He ask about the price for the scope of work and the consensus was it was a good price. Since the OP is not a contractor it is hard to see the hidden cost involved to do the work and may have a slight case of sticker shock.

And this may well be the GCs price and once you take out 10-15% for the GC then you get's what left for the EC.

That is also the other thing we do not know is the $7500.00 the real price?

Status
Not open for further replies.