50' Scissor Lift....

Status
Not open for further replies.

emahler

Indoor usage...anyone know if one is manufactured?

i've found a couple in the 50'+ range, but they are all outdoor, and gas powered... really need an electric unit...

quogueelectric

Articulating boom much more common be real careful using easy to tip if you are not familiar and bring xtra underware that week. Training certification --Aerial Lift Operator-- 29 CFR 1926.453 Arial Lifts wouldnt be a bad Idea either I use them indoors all the time some even go to 135 i think

Last edited:

emahler

the problem we have is access...not even sure if it's a feasible plan...we are looking for an alternate plan to scaffolding...

situation is a few runs of conduit on a stage (engineers will need to sign off on the weight) in a theater...runs go up about 55'....each run consists of between 2-4" EMT and 2-4", 2-2 1/2"& 2- 2" EMT's....

the only scissor lifts that i have found, average about 15,000 lbs....

i have a sneaking suspicion that we will be working off of scaffolding...:D

quogueelectric

I have used them all however the articulating booms are my favorite much more stable when used right at those heights. Not particularly fast tho. I realize you have a weight problem as the last stage I did was last year and had wood framed flooring that we drove the lifts on but our height was only 30 ft no problem fo hanging all the lights and bars and FA and sound equipment. I really hate the 1 man lifts at my age.

Rampage_Rick

I'm not a fan of the bigger scissor lifts. Yesterday there was yet another accident 'round here whereby a woman installing insulation got pinned to the roof structure: http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=fe9c9ee7-a3b4-4457-84de-e52045cced74

They had better have all the required safeguards in place, lest WSBC get out a disproportionately large pair of rubber gloves, being that this occurance has already been documented: http://www2.worksafebc.com/i/posters/2004//ib_scissorlift.htm

iwire

Staff member
emahler said:
Indoor usage...anyone know if one is manufactured?

i've found a couple in the 50'+ range, but they are all outdoor, and gas powered... really need an electric unit...

In any building we have used a lift(s) of that size we just use the gas versions. Diesel, Gas or LP.

Obviously LP would be the first choice and you don't park idling, you shut it down, do your work, restart the lift and move.

Never been a problem and it is very common, no different then LP powered fork trucks.

I assume this is a slab on grade building but if not watch the weight, a 50' scissor lift is pretty heavy.

If the floor can not have tire tracks left behind the rental companies can often provide 'tire booties', heavy canvas wraps for the rubber tires found on AT lifts.

growler

emahler said:
the problem we have is access...not even sure if it's a feasible plan...we are looking for an alternate plan to scaffolding...

situation is a few runs of conduit on a stage (engineers will need to sign off on the weight) in a theater...runs go up about 55'....each run consists of between 2-4" EMT and 2-4", 2-2 1/2"& 2- 2" EMT's....

the only scissor lifts that i have found, average about 15,000 lbs....

i have a sneaking suspicion that we will be working off of scaffolding...:D

A stage sounds like you may need a little versatilty in a lift. Have you checked to see if there isn't a knuckle-boom lift ( JLG) that would work in his situation. If you get a 60 footer it will still run on LP but they can be a lot better in tight places than a scissor lift. I'm not sure about weight because that was never a problem.

growler

I just checked and a 60 ft. JLG knuckle boom weighs 15200 lbs. but they do make an electric version. I guess it's going to be hard to go that high without some weight.

emahler

i've looked into many of the options, i don't think any of them will work...i have a feeling they will just be adding more scaffolding...they are already scaffolding the entire seating area, so what's a few more feet?

a boom lift actually makes life a little more difficult than scaffolding due to the # of conduits and their size. with a scissor lift I can put more material on it and save time.

growler

emahler said:
a boom lift actually makes life a little more difficult than scaffolding due to the # of conduits and their size. with a scissor lift I can put more material on it and save time.

I don't know about that. I ran about 14 thousand ft of 2" EMT down at the main post office in Atlanta off a JLG boom lift. There was no way I could have used a scissor lift ( to many obstacles ). If you know how to use it those things are great.

A 60 ft. scissor lift is a monster. A 60 ft boom is much smaller and easier to deal with in tight places. I'll take a lift over scafflolding any day.

This is just one man's opinion. I don't like climbing. :D

emahler

growler said:
I don't know about that. I ran about 14 thousand ft of 2" EMT down at the main post office in Atlanta off a JLG boom lift. There was no way I could have used a scissor lift ( to many obstacles ). If you know how to use it those things are great.

A 60 ft. scissor lift is a monster. A 60 ft boom is much smaller and easier to deal with in tight places. I'll take a lift over scafflolding any day.

This is just one man's opinion. I don't like climbing. :D

you think? i've only used a boom lift maybe 6-8 times....usually for changing lamps/ballasts in an operating warehouse.

i'm looking at it from having to run vertical racks of 2-4" and 4-2 1/2"...i just see alot of up and down. we have the physical room for the scissor lift...and it lets us just load up the lift with conduit and fittings...

but, i'll look into it...how did you handle material? how many feet of emt at a time could you take up with you?

iwire

Staff member
I have spent a ton of time up in lifts of all types.

IMO running any conduit out of a basket type lift stinks, no room for material, no room for bending. Sometimes you have to do it that way but if at all possible I use a scissor lift.

76nemo

You guys ever been 25' up on one of these with a tool pouch over your shoulder, a meter in your hands, and a "Please Dear God make the shakes go away!"???:D I had to use them in a old 4H camp with a very degrading floor. Being at the top, legs wrapped around both sides, it's hairy. Now change the ballast. They paid me for service, not to be Tarzan:roll: I hated every minute of it.

You guys every been on these?

http://www.wernerladder.com/catalog/details.php?series_id=137

emahler

iwire said:
I have spent a ton of time up in lifts of all types.

IMO running any conduit out of a basket type lift stinks, no room for material, no room for bending. Sometimes you have to do it that way but if at all possible I use a scissor lift.

That's always been my impression

growler

emahler said:
but, i'll look into it...how did you handle material? how many feet of emt at a time could you take up with you?

I built myself a rack so I could take up about 6 sticks of 2" each trip. With four thousand people working in a building you have to be real carefull never to drop anything even with work area roped off.

You can get a 500 lb. load in the bucket. You could use a rope and some sort of clip and pull the conduit up. I have had to use differnet methods in different situations.

I do agree that if you have the room and it's an open space ( both floor and ceiling) that a scissor lift is better for taking up lots of materials. If I remember correctly that big scissor lift has a work platform of about 8' X 12' so stocking materials is never a problem. But that thing is a big bastard if you ever need to get in a tight spot.

The only problem that I have ever had with scissor lifts is that in most places there are areas that I just can get to. Obstacles that can't be moved so I need to get over or around them.

Remember that you have seen the job and I haven't. I just always worry about the tight spots. I think I'm a worry wart anyway. I'm always looking for things that could go wrong.

Where a boom lift is really good is if you need to get in between lights or duct work ( that sort of thing). You can operate in a very small area of ceiling. If you don't need it now then just keep it in mind for future tight spots. You will run into them sooner or later. I know I always do.

Good luck and have fun or make money whichever is important.

( This has been an unpaid advertisement for JLG brand telescoping knuckle boom lifts, the opinions expressed here do not necessarily make any sense or have any sort of official backing we are just bored and running off at the mouth or key board).

iwire

Staff member
growler said:
I built myself a rack so I could take up about 6 sticks of 2" each trip. [/COLOR]

A job built rack added to a boom lift?

Apparently you don't work on jobs with a safety officers. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.