50' Scissor Lift....

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
ItsHot said:
I was thinking the technique with the 2 forklifts working together!:grin:

Yeah. I will be honest I have added a shelf or two on a lift but it does run right into OSHA

1926.453(a)(2)

Aerial lifts may be "field modified" for uses other than those intended by the manufacturer provided the modification has been certified in writing by the manufacturer or by any other equivalent entity, such as a nationally recognized testing laboratory, to be in conformity with all applicable provisions of ANSI A92.2-1969 and this section and to be at least as safe as the equipment was before modification.

growler

iwire said:
IMO running any conduit out of a basket type lift stinks, no room for material, no room for bending. Sometimes you have to do it that way but if at all possible I use a scissor lift.

That's true Bob but the last time I looked at a stage it wasn't exactly open and clear up top. As a matter of fact it was rather crowded up there. Not a lot of room to maneuver. All the work takes place up top so haveing and open floor doesn't help a lot.

mdshunk

I've used the Genie Aerial work platform with the Super Straddle accessory to reach a 53 foot working height in a church sanctuary. That was the only thing rated for indoors that wouldn't crush the wood floor in that would reach 53' that I could find.

iwire

Staff member
growler said:
That's true Bob but the last time I looked at a stage it wasn't exactly open and clear up top. As a matter of fact it was rather crowded up there. Not a lot of room to maneuver. All the work takes place up top so having and open floor doesn't help a lot.

I agree, sometimes you have to do that, even worse is a single man Genie but if at all possible scissor lift.

Only emahler will know how it looks at this stage. Some stages are wide open to leave room for the traveling shows equipment.

But 50' is a heck of a reach and stay low weight.

growler

iwire said:
A job built rack added to a boom lift?

Apparently you don't work on jobs with a safety officers. :wink:

Bob there are metal shops that will fabricate you anything that you need. The materials of choice is aluminum it's light weight and strong. When I say I built a rack I mean I design it and get it fabricated.

They were getting paid over a million dollars for that job so a few hundred spent on tools is nothing. You have to do what you have to do.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
growler said:
Bob there are metal shops that will fabricate you anything that you need. The materials of choice is aluminum it's light weight and strong. When I say I built a rack I mean I design it and get it fabricated.

All I am saying is no matter how safe it is, no matter how pretty it is, it can run afoul of OSHA 1926.453(a)(2) without a letter.

Most of the GCs we work with would not allow these modifications without us providing the required letters. (It's all about insurance and the GCs accident rating)

Like I said I have been know to add some unapproved attachments to a lift but I can't pretend its OK. :)

satcom

iwire said:
All I am saying is no matter how safe it is, no matter how pretty it is, it can run afoul of OSHA 1926.453(a)(2) without a letter.

Most of the GCs we work with would not allow these modifications without us providing the required letters. (It's all about insurance and the GCs accident rating)

Like I said I have been know to add some unapproved attachments to a lift but I can't pretend its OK. :)

I am glad you said it, and not me!
Thank you,

Les

growler

iwire said:

JLG does make and approved attachment ( pipe rack) so we can carry conduit on the boom lift and still be legal. They also have an approved wire rack.

It looks as if you can get a bundle or two of 3/4" EMT at one trip.

I couldn't find an approved tranformer rack but they probably have one for the scissor lift.

Last edited:

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
heavy duty

heavy duty

this area being a theater, the stage has to be of some substancial construction, with a high pound per square foot ratio, to accommodate the stage and production equipment. I bet, with an engineers blessing, you could drive any of the aforementioned lifts with no problem, since the load will be spread over a 60' square area.
Brett

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
Hail Mary

Hail Mary

emahler said:
With the engineers blessing being the key words. I surely ain't taking responsibility.

Yeah, a written approval is good, but you also might want give the Pope a call.....

quogueelectric

You all saw what happened to that crane the other day. Nothing is a problem until someone gets killed then all the rulebook guys come running out from behind thier desks writing summonses and pointing fingers.

76nemo said:
You guys ever been 25' up on one of these with a tool pouch over your shoulder, a meter in your hands, and a "Please Dear God make the shakes go away!"???:D I had to use them in a old 4H camp with a very degrading floor. Being at the top, legs wrapped around both sides, it's hairy. Now change the ballast. They paid me for service, not to be Tarzan:roll: I hated every minute of it.

You guys every been on these?

http://www.wernerladder.com/catalog/details.php?series_id=137

Only time I ever had problems with one of these was when a 32' wooden one fell on top of me... that stung for a few days. Other than that, I love 'em :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.