501.15 (E) (1)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted a question(s) in this section on 9-20-13 in reference to 501.15 (E) (1). I appreciate the response and value the responders opinion, but I am not sure my questions were answered. The first question was is there anything that says that a cable seal (TMCX connector) can not be enclosed in a finished wall? The TMCX terminates in the back of a gutter surface mounted on the wall outside the classified area.

The second question was does "501.15 (E)(1) Cables entering enclosures that are required
to be explosion proof
shall be sealed at the point of entrance" mean that the connector at the fixture must be a sealing fitting regardless of weather or not a boundary seal was installed?

To put this in a little better perspective my foreman thought it would be a good idea and I agreed until I read the rule, to grab individual sections of MCHL and pack the connectors on one end so that they can cure in a place where they would not be exposed to other trades working that can bump them. There is one fixture and 4 other loads that require separate cables from the gutter and we did not want the whips hanging in the air while the packing material cures. We also had to give the wall the gutter was mounted on up for inspection so it was just more practical to put the sealing fittings in the wall in the back of the gutter so we could just use non sealing (TMC connectors) inside the classified area at each fixture and enclosure once the fixtures and enclosures are installed at another later time.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
I posted a question(s) in this section on 9-20-13 in reference to 501.15 (E) (1). I appreciate the response and value the responders opinion, but I am not sure my questions were answered. The first question was is there anything that says that a cable seal (TMCX connector) can not be enclosed in a finished wall? The TMCX terminates in the back of a gutter surface mounted on the wall outside the classified area.

The second question was does "501.15 (E)(1) Cables entering enclosures that are required
to be explosion proof
shall be sealed at the point of entrance" mean that the connector at the fixture must be a sealing fitting regardless of weather or not a boundary seal was installed?

To put this in a little better perspective my foreman thought it would be a good idea and I agreed until I read the rule, to grab individual sections of MCHL and pack the connectors on one end so that they can cure in a place where they would not be exposed to other trades working that can bump them. There is one fixture and 4 other loads that require separate cables from the gutter and we did not want the whips hanging in the air while the packing material cures. We also had to give the wall the gutter was mounted on up for inspection so it was just more practical to put the sealing fittings in the wall in the back of the gutter so we could just use non sealing (TMC connectors) inside the classified area at each fixture and enclosure once the fixtures and enclosures are installed at another later time.

Let's confirm a few things first:

1. The room is Class I, Division 2 whether it needs to be or not.
  2. It is NOT Group B.
  3. The luminaire is explosionproof with a factory seal between the main housing and the terminal box.
Other than you didn't need an explosionproof termination at the wall in the first place, there is no more restriction on an TMCX termination in a finished wall than there would be NM terminator.

With respect to Section 501.15(E)(1), if the enclosure requires a seal, it must be within 18" of the enclosure.

Without knowing the luminaire's design I can't be sure but I suspect you don't need any seals at all, but definitely not at the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.