547.8(b) (2008nec)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ty

Hi all!

In a Residential Horse Barn (there are no boarded Horses, all homeowner owned), does anyone know how high a typical horse (or even a very large horse, for the sake of failure) can stand on rear legs?

In this application, because of the way it is constructed, the lighting would be best installed on the bottom of the roof trusses.
This would put the bottom of a typical glass fixture with metal basket (such as Hubbell), about 12 and a half feet above grade.
There is hay loft above.

My main concern is that horses can be very curious and would like to keep the lights out of their reach.

If my momory serves me correctly, George S. has or had horses.

Any input would appreciated!

-Todd

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well there is no code on this but I doubt a horse will rear up too much in a barn. I have put the lights as low as 9 or 10 feet.

What wiring method are you using?

ty

Well there is no code on this but I doubt a horse will rear up too much in a barn. I have put the lights as low as 9 or 10 feet.

What wiring method are you using?

MC

...just kidding...

We have not started the job, but I believe it will be pvc.
Or possibly carflex whip to j-box in pvc run.

We don't typically use romex (maybe in the office and laundry areas that are drywalled) in a stable. mice and squirrels like to chew it.
Thanks for your reply Dennis.

-Todd

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You're welcome. I was hoping you weren't going to use nm since it would not be compliant out there in the stable.

I have both owned horses and wired stables, the fixture at that height is fine.
Just make sure you keep the wiring out of reach because of chewing and in conduit anywhere a horse could reach it. I use wp boxes to keep dust/ dirt out.

ty

I have both owned horses and wired stables, the fixture at that height is fine.
Just make sure you keep the wiring out of reach because of chewing and in conduit anywhere a horse could reach it. I use wp boxes to keep dust/ dirt out.

Thanks for the reply, sawdust.

Yeah, we will be using w/p boxes, etc.
My main concern was the fixture height, so as not to be damaged by or cause damage to any of the horses.
-Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.