6-outlet Grounding adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark puentes

Does anyone know where I can find information in the code book about the use of these adapters in a hotel. If they are legal. They plug into an outlet and a fastened with the center plate screw.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: 6-outlet Grounding adapter

I found ten hits for the word ?adapter? in the 2002 NEC. None of the ten had anything to do with your question.

My view is that this adapter is a ?plug and cord? type of device that is (1) Installed by the user, and (2) No different than plugging in a ?surge protector? that has a three foot cord and six outlets. In other words, it is not a matter for the National Electrical Code.

bphgravity

I am not a big fan of these devices. They simply make the user assume that more power is available at the outlet location because more plugs can be inserted. This is obviously not the case.

Check for testing and listings for the device before making use of them. Also check the for local electrical codes and local fire codes.

The State of Florida University system does not permit the use of these devices in dorm rooms at all 11 public universities. :)

racraft

Originally posted by bphgravity:
I am not a big fan of these devices. They simply make the user assume that more power is available at the outlet location because more plugs can be inserted. This is obviously not the case.
I disagree. An intelligent user knows that no more power is available just because one of these devices is used. It is only an ignorant, or uneducated, user who makes the assumption you are charging.

These devices serve many useful purposes. They allow more than two items to be plugged into a single duplex outlet without the need for flimsy 18 gauge extension cords, passing all three conductors (hot, return, and ground) when necessary, they often provide some spike and/or surge supression, and the wired ones usually provide an on/off switch.

The on/off switch alone usually provides energy saving and minimal protection. For example, a user who can shut off his entire computer system with a single switch is more likely to do so than a user who has to turn off the CPU box, monitor, speakers, scanner, printer, etc.

What is important is what sort of loads are plugged into these multi-outlet devices. For appropriate loads they represent the appropriate solution. I would rather see one of these used than to add additional outlets in the same location on the same circuit.

bphgravity

Originally posted by racraft:
An intelligent user...
Do you actually know of any?

It is my opinion that a duplex receptacle outlet is intended for use with two cord-and-plug connected appliances or equipment and no more. The use of extension cords, multi-adaptors, or plug strips should not be used unless designed with internal overload or overcurrent protection installed.

These should only be used for temporary needs and limited to 90 days use. Call your local fire marshall and see what their official opinion on the use of adaptors and extension cords is. I think you will be suprised how many emergency calls are from electrical fires and cord melting at these locations that use these devices. :eek:

racraft

Again bph, I respectfully disagree.

I have three computers in my house. Each one is plugged into a UPS. My DSL modem and router are also plugged into one (four UPSs in three rooms). The UPS devices themselves are single cord (15 amp) and multi outlet (either six or four outlets per UPS).

In three other locations in my residence I have similar devices (without the UPS batteries) to provide surge suppression. These are for TVs, and other audio and video equipment. Again, too many devices for a single (and in one place even a double) duplex outlet.

There is nothing wrong with multi outlet devices when properly used.

As for contacting my fire department, I don't need to. As a member I am aware of all calls we get. We have had none in the 15 years I have been a member of the department attributed to improper use of the devices we are talking about.

[ June 23, 2003, 05:17 PM: Message edited by: racraft ]

hurk27

Bryan
I would have to agree with Racraft as I have never seen a plug strip (6 outlets) without a OPC and most have it set for 10 amps. these would always be safer that the cheep lamp cord extention cords that can cause a fire. and many have. when a homeowner has a entertainment system or a computer to plug in the total connected load is barely over 500 watts these 6 outlet plug in adaptors that was mention in the first post are UL listed for use to allow for extra outlets and they even come with the long screw to install them as a cover. the load is split between the top outlet and the bottem so no more than 3 devices can load 1/2 of the duplex at a time. if the outlet is 1/2 switched then you will have 3 openings switched and 3 that are hot all the time. I cant see where these are any differant than the triplex receptacles that we use to install a few years ago. yes someone has to use commoned sense when pulging anything in and most people do but with breakers as we have today if you put to much load on one all that will happen is the breaker will trip. unlike those cheep extention cords that will not carry a 20 amp load continusly and there are some coming from China that are only 20 awg these just light up when shorted on a 20 amp breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.