6 units townhouses, can i just Bond neutral in one point at main splice box gutter

Status
Not open for further replies.
today i got the answer i was knew, old electrical contractor mess up, he should it run conduits straigt to POCO, now i guess i will have to contact Power company to see if they allow a live gutter in the electrical room and i guess i will bond every unit at its meter outside.

Well check with the electrical inspector too, as you still have 230.3 to deal with, as mentioned before - you better have a really good pastry on hand ;)

J.P.

Too bad all the meters can't go in or on the electrical room, Put a live gutter above them and disconnects below them. Bond there and then feed your panels.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Too bad all the meters can't go in or on the electrical room, Put a live gutter above them and disconnects below them. Bond there and then feed your panels.
Assuming, of course, that POCO allows installation of the bonding jumper in their controlled area (upstream of meter regardless of where the service point is.)

J.P.

Bond in each of the disconnects. It would be no different than any other main disconnect. Each would be it's own service, right?

I broke out my Mac paint program.....

Attachments

• IMG_1003.jpg
    IMG_1003.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Bond in each of the disconnects. It would be no different than any other main disconnect. Each would be it's own service, right?
Yep...

I believe it is already setup to do it this way with the exception the service entrance conduits (utility side of meter) have been run from the interior of the separate electrical room/bldg to outside each townhouse where the meter is located. I'm assuming the SE conduits are completely outside other than that...???

@tico17
See last sentence above. Answer that then...

Are the SE conduits above or below grade where they enter the electrical room. I suppose the answer doesn't really matter, because... to be Code compliant you'll have to intercept them outside and route to an outside gutter or terminal bus where the "main" service will supply them. POCO will have to agree to this, so talk to them, because they'll likely required that it be sealed, perhaps lockable, and most definitely under their sole control... and then confirm AHJ approves design.

Yep...

I believe it is already setup to do it this way with the exception the service entrance conduits (utility side of meter) have been run from the interior of the separate electrical room/bldg to outside each townhouse where the meter is located. I'm assuming the SE conduits are completely outside other than that...???

@tico17
See last sentence above. Answer that then...

Are the SE conduits above or below grade where they enter the electrical room. I suppose the answer doesn't really matter, because... to be Code compliant you'll have to intercept them outside and route to an outside gutter or terminal bus where the "main" service will supply them. POCO will have to agree to this, so talk to them, because they'll likely required that it be sealed, perhaps lockable, and most definitely under their sole control... and then confirm AHJ approves design.

they ran 6 conduits for townhouses, and 3-3" conduits to transformers transformer is on the other side of the street so i cant intercept them and bring them to Transformer, i want to do like he has in the drawing GUTTER IN ELECTRICAL ROOM SPLICE ALL SERVICES TOGETHER + METER OUTSIDE OF EVERY UNIT+ MAIN BREAKER PANEL IN GARAGE

CONDUITS ARE OUTSIDE OF THE UNITS I CAN DIG AND SEE THEM

Smart $

Esteemed Member
they ran 6 conduits for townhouses, and 3-3" conduits to transformers transformer is on the other side of the street so i cant intercept them and bring them to Transformer, i want to do like he has in the drawing GUTTER IN ELECTRICAL ROOM SPLICE ALL SERVICES TOGETHER + METER OUTSIDE OF EVERY UNIT+ MAIN BREAKER PANEL IN GARAGE

CONDUITS ARE OUTSIDE OF THE UNITS I CAN DIG AND SEE THEM
My concern is wheter conduits are outside and accessible to intercept on the electrical room end. As I noted earlier, you cannot run service conductors through one building's interior to supply another... and that's what you would have as routed now. You somehow have to get all service conductor outside. That may take knocking down one wall of the electric room... I don't know. I'm just trying to tell it is a Code violation how it is set up currently

On the townhouse end, and using the diagram you posted earlier, is the conduits from the meters
to the panels in the garages underground? I'm asking because meters and panels are not back to back in your diagram, and the conductors are still service entrance conductors and must be outside to the nearest entry point to an interior service disconnecting means. Underground, under building, is considered as being outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.