60 amp panel 1000'

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Need some input and some thoughts from the crew here I need to run a 60 amp sub panel from a three phase 120/208 panel about 1000 ft away I was thinking to possibly put a step up transformer at the current service to reduce the size of the wire needed and then step back down at the panel location any thoughts

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Depending on the nature of your load (lighting, motors, etc_) and the actual load, 4/0 or 250AL would likely be acceptable.
Transformers are a good method but at that load it might not be that economical.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For 1000 feet, definitely go for as high a voltage as you can. Just remember you'll be powering them both all the time.

Perhaps price it both ways. Is the load 3-phase, too, and what is the actual expected load current?

nickelec

All this is for is a camera system really wa giving them the option to add inte future but all I need now is enough current to operate the system

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We have a similar deal. Truck scales. Maybe a small plug in power supply to operate the display lights. An LED area light. Seven hundred feet. I won't be taking less than 1/0 and would prefer to take 250s. The load will not get smaller and I can see heat in that little moveable garden shed they are planning. The little wood ones that look like small barns. It will keep getting bigger.

ppsh

Occupation
Electrician
4/0AL will keep you under 5%vd at 50a. At this size and distance, stepping up to 480v isn't cost effective, the transformers would cost more than the 4/0AL. Around $2500 in wire running 4/0. A 30kva 480-208/120y is about $2000 itself.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
Instead of solar and a battery, how about provision for a battery charger, battery and inverter. Plan for 5 amp total.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Depending on the nature of your load (lighting, motors, etc_) and the actual load, 4/0 or 250AL would likely be acceptable.
Transformers are a good method but at that load it might not be that economical.

4/0 AL phase - X= 0.041 R=0.10

2/0 AL ground- X= 0.043 R=0.16

1616785476088.png

Z= 0.0676 + 0.007056 squared

Z= 0.27 ohms

120/0.27= 444 amps

Going by this 444 amps is just a slight hair over 5 seconds:

Given wire will not be starting at 75*C during the fault, and the time current curve is based on max clearing vs max tripping I'd say 4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0 should have you fully covered as a minimum wire size.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
And what do they want to do in the 40 x 60 foot building? Store old equipment with minimum lights, or have a grow house?

Status
Not open for further replies.