60 amp PDU for Server Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeresJonny

Occupation
Wireman
I am installing a customer provided PDU for a server room which is fed by a 60amp circuit. The PDU came with a 60 amp pin and sleeve cord cap but the customer wants it hard-wired instead of using the cord caps as they are pretty big. There is no service disconnect in the room for this, but the OCPD is visible and within 15' of the PDU. Is it a violation to bypass the cord caps and hard wire said PDU or do i need the cord cap as a means of disconnect?

Probably violates the listing if you take off the connector; at the least, ask the manufacturer if it's OK to hard-wire.

And there wouldn't be a service disconnect (that's a very specific term), you might consider a maintenance disconnect, which could be the breaker feeding the PDU.

ron

Some in rack PDU manufacturers make the equipment with a cord cap or hard wire and some only with a cord cap.

You need to install it in the way it was UL listed (guessing it is listed).

As mentioned by zbang, check with the manufacturer if they are ok with it. No code requirement for a local disconnect within site.

HeresJonny

Occupation
Wireman
Probably violates the listing if you take off the connector; at the least, ask the manufacturer if it's OK to hard-wire.

And there wouldn't be a service disconnect (that's a very specific term), you might consider a maintenance disconnect, which could be the breaker feeding the PDU.
You are correct. Service disconnect was a bad choice of words. But I’m assuming you understood what I meant. My question was really only referring to the means of disconnect as it pertains to the OCPD being sufficient as this specific PDU does not have an on/off switch that would disconnect the ungrounded conductors. I know this is necessary for a lot of equipment but I couldn’t find anything in the code book specific to PDU’s although I didn’t look for very long either. Thanks for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.