60 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I think a lot of people get hung up on the "not less than 100A". The code, as written, doesn't say less than 100A service, it says "not less than100A rated service disconnecting means". So you could have a 100A disconnecting means and feed a building with 60A breaker.
You can do a 100A rated fused disconnect with lower rated fuses. But you can't do it with a circuit breaker because the circuit breaker is the disconnecting means.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I don't see how you can do that with only one piece of equipment. In most cases the breaker itself is the disconnect. Now if you have a fusible disconnect, the disconnect rating maybe different from the circuit rating because fuses smaller than the rating of the disconnect could be installed.
The 100A main breaker is the disconnecting means. The 60A breaker feeds the building. You could have a 100A meter-main with a 60A branch breaker or just a 100A disconnect with branch circuit spaces, use a 60A breaker.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
you could do a 125 amp mlo panel with a backfeed 60 amp breaker. Same thing as your proposed with fuses.
For example
How is a MLO panel a disconnect? With breakers, the disconnect is always the breaker. Totally different from fuses.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The 100A main breaker is the disconnecting means. The 60A breaker feeds the building. You could have a 100A meter-main with a 60A branch breaker or just a 100A disconnect with branch circuit spaces, use a 60A breaker.
I did not correctly read your post.

In that case, and probably in the case of this thread, there is no rule on the size of the circuit that feeds the individual unit, other than the load calculation as 230.79 does not even apply.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I did not correctly read your post.

In that case, and probably in the case of this thread, there is no rule on the size of the circuit that feeds the individual unit, other than the load calculation as 230.79 does not even apply.
I was just thinking of some wire cost savings from the meter to the dwelling.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
you could do a 125 amp mlo panel with a backfeed 60 amp breaker. Same thing as your proposed with fuses.
For example
I think in that case your 'service disconnect' would still be the 60A breaker regardless of the the MLO panel so you would be in violation.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
your right just use whatever breaker is needed back feed with that and then use the smaller size but I see how the fuses are different now that I think about it
My bad

Status
Not open for further replies.