600/1000V XLPE Insulated, PVC Sheathed, Unarmoured Power Cables

Rashid44

New User
Occupation
Junior Engineer
Why cable catalogues don't include current carrying capacity or voltage drop values for un-armoured XLPE cables, if Method D1 i.e. installed in conduit buried in the ground (Cable Reference Installation Methods) is opted.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not sure what codes apply where you are, but where the NEC applies, the only current carrying capacity that applies to a conductor are the ones found in the code book. It doesn't matter what the manufacturer says.

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
It seems to me, it is about IEC standard 60364-5-52. However, I don't see in my edition [2001] reference to D1 [it is only "D" as per Table 52-3 item 72].
I have not the 2009 Edition, but, as detailed in the Abstract, no change was done in the tables.
If you read the note at the bottom of the table, you will see it says that if the Earth resistivity is 2.5 and more no difference between ampacity for the cables free in underground with respect to cables in conduits or ducts. For less than 2.5 [ K.m/W or 250 oC.cm/W as per NEC] you are invited to use IEC 60287-2-1.
The drying phenomenon is more in the free underground run of cable due to higher temperature of the outer surface of the cable [usually 80oC] but in a conduit case it is less than 60oC-usually, so 2.5 is recommended for free underground run also.