600 amp Eaton safety switch removal/replacement

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
The conductors are fine. I am going to buy another switch and try to change out the interior. That’s what I said in my original original post.
I haven't changed a safety switch guts but have changed a few panel guts. Actually, the panel is what is listed, not the cabinet. Inspectors had no problem with my just swapping guts. I would think the same would apply to your safety switch.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Yeah, you’re right, they do have 400 amp fuses, but it’s a 600 amp disconnect, the first time I went over there, they had fluctuating/inconsistent voltages on all three phases, it ended up being the line side neutral was overly corroded. I cut back on the wire and restripped it, then moved it to the parallel lug next to it and the voltage went back to normal. The inside of the disconnect is dry, which is weird. I don’t know where the moisture was coming from, the disconnect definitely needs to be replaced.
On old overhead services I have had water travel down the service drop thru the splices and drip loop into the neutral conductor to the service disco.
I have 'fixed' that by skinning the neutral at the bottom of the drip loop.
That will get you some strange looks from linemen

garbo

Rendering plant, kill floors? Ugh… I’ll bet that was a nasty environment to work!
Was nasty and had to take a shower & wash your hair as soon as you got home to get the smell of the rendering room off your skin. The locker & shower rooms were nasty and always had roaches running around. We changed into street clothes in our electric shop parts room. Made a lot of money between daily overtime and working OT every Saturday.

Sparky_ron

Occupation
Master Electrician
Yeah, that’s nasty! It’s like the old adage, they pay you enough to keep you around. I used to run service for this outfit that would grind up all the leftover chicken parts to make some powder for pet food, everything I did over there took several days because the whole plant was in rigid. After a couple of days of being parked in or near the plant, it would take months and months to get the smell out of my van, it was so gross but they paid good!

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I had two place like that at opposite ends of the spectrum. 1. a sewage treatment plant. I worked in a few and they were nasty and all rigid aluminum conduit . A few days and weeks spent there, and the smell would be in your clothes, toolboxes truck everywhere.
2 was a candle making plant smell ok when you got there but after days and weeks in there same thing. Caused some people allergies and headaches and they couldn't work there. The smell grew on you but over time became intense. Job boxes left on site a while and then brought back to the shop and opened up for the first time in months the smell would knock you over.