60A single-pole breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I have to feed some equipment through a slip ring; my client needs (3) 20A 120VAC circuits on the rotating portion of the machine. I'm concerned about the potential for a damaged conductor brush causing an "open neutral" situation if I supply the system with a 240V 3-wire system.

I'm proposing to supply a 60A 120V circuit, pass it through the slip ring, and then protect down to 20A using Class CC fuses on the rotating portion of the machine.

I don't think I've seen a single pole breaker larger than 30A. Is that statement correct? Client has a Square D panel (he doesn't know if it's HOM or QO). I can use a 2-pole 60A breaker and just leave one leg unconnected, but that wastes panel space and seems a tad sloppy. Thoughts?

SceneryDriver

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Don't know about Homeline but single pole QO 60's are not hard to get however, as ptonsparky says, using a two pole is probably the easiest solution.

Roger

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I think HOM style stop at 50A 1 pole though. But is this a residential customer with a slip ring? Probably not, in which case I'd say the chances of it being Homeline are slim, Q0 was the standard for years and years and still is in commercial and industrial users.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
I think HOM style stop at 50A 1 pole though. But is this a residential customer with a slip ring? Probably not, in which case I'd say the chances of it being Homeline are slim, Q0 was the standard for years and years and still is in commercial and industrial users.

No, not a residential customer. It's a summerstock theater out in the sticks of northwest IL, with bastard-leg delta power. Everything except the AC compressors and air handler are split-phase 120/240; HVAC is 240V 3-phase. Slip ring is being considered to bring power to the revolving stage for use with lighting and sound equipment (permanent part of the stage). The panels in the building are an interesting hodge-podge of QO, HOM, BR, and probably others as well. It's out in the sticks, and as the building was rewired/remodeled/changed/updated over the years, whatever was cheapest and most available was used.

I didn't realize 1P breakers over 30A were available. I may still do a single-pole breaker, just so people down the line don't get confused by the empty pole.

SceneryDriver

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.