Status
Not open for further replies.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
This section for crane and hoist motors refers to 430.52(C)(1), inverse time circuit breakers - but I always thought an instantaneous CB was a better application for motor since there will also be overload protection in the circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
This provision of 430.52 lilely limits the usage.........
Instantaneous Trip Circuit Breaker. An instantaneous trip circuit breaker shall be used only if adjustable and if part of a listed combination motor controller having coordinated motor overload and short-circuit and ground-fault protection in each conductor, and the setting is adjusted to no more than the value specified in Table 430.52.

Isaiah

Occupation
Electrical Inspector
This provision of 430.52 lilely limits the usage.........
Instantaneous Trip Circuit Breaker. An instantaneous trip circuit breaker shall be used only if adjustable and if part of a listed combination motor controller having coordinated motor overload and short-circuit and ground-fault protection in each conductor, and the setting is adjusted to no more than the value specified in Table 430.52.

Augie, a related question-the ampacity values of 610.14(A) are quite high for short time rated motors. If the feeder to a crane (with short time hoist) goes underground for say, half the overall distance would you still have to use the tables in Annex B for RHO and temp correction factors? Or would there be some ‘modifications’ allowed to increase those values due to 610.14(A)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.