65K Portable Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarchris

I've been asked by a local town to install provisions for connecting a 65K portable Generator to 4 or 5 sewer lift pump stations. They are all different voltages 480/277 3ph, 208/120 3ph, and 240/120 1ph. The portable generator has cam lock connections and came with cam lock male "plugs" on long cables with no ends on the opposite side/end. The transfer switches are all installed but no provisions for attaching to the gen.They would like to have the same receptacle/connection at each location. What's the best option for this? I've never dealt with Cam lock connections and am not familiar with generators of this size. I've done all resi gens. of 20K and under.

guitarchris

9E6953A2-9F17-474D-981C-B1C55F7EEE40-7861-000013658DC83094.jpg

CD576F77-9562-4781-A04C-4C5CC963085D-7861-000013659B0C212A.jpg

97AD023B-E9EE-4A53-8DCC-3B52A9058A08-7861-00001365C947F96F.jpg

5A07A318-8573-446E-BCC2-DF10ADA02D6F-7861-00001365A88C1D54.jpg

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
They would like to have the same receptacle/connection at each location.
Tell them no. Not only no but hell no!
What's the best option for this? .....
Reconfigure the lift stations to same voltage system throughout the town. One generator with one one configuration and one style of Meltric plug is the only way to go.

The city where I live did this last year and our shop did the work. The cost of the work was less than the amount of the fine the city government would incur if they did not meet the state requirements for back up power.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Have the correct pin and sleeve inlet at all of the stations, then have two pigtails made up to match for the generator. Then the only mistake they can make is forgetting to flip the voltage switch on the generator. This will save you from any future lawsuits because you did due dillegence of having the correct voltage plug. Or just have a matching Cam lock box with the voltage and amperage clearly marked on the cover.

Last edited:

guitarchris

Tell them no. Not only no but hell no!
Reconfigure the lift stations to same voltage system throughout the town. One generator with one one configuration and one style of Meltric plug is the only way to go.

The city where I live did this last year and our shop did the work. The cost of the work was less than the amount of the fine the city government would incur if they did not meet the state requirements for back up power.

I would have loved to have done that, they bought the gen 1st! The transfer switches have been installed for years. No way they'd go for that. Small town, small budget. They bought this generator with all the voltages they have at each station....my job will be to give them the most universal set up I can. I think they would be ok with a whip/cord set for each voltage type if I label them by street name or station number (however they "code" them internally). I was just trying to not have to purchase to many sets of recept & plug types.

just curious if anyone has done anything similar and what combo did you use?

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
You can't fight city hall.:)

Different cords for different voltages is far safer than one size fits all.

We used a Meltric pin and sleeve connector. Pretty standard stuff for backup power. Other brands are available.

Making a place to mount the connector on some of the lift stations where the service was on a pole took some extra work.

Hurk27 has done work on lift stations maybe he will chime in.

Trystar Industries probably also has the parts and will usually make up cable assemblies at no charge when you buy the parts from them.

Past that- you need really prominent labeling and clear written procedures. Things like, on the building's connector box 480v - use cable 'B', then you put a big 'B' on the matching cable. Also written start-up procedures, and I'm mostly making this up but it should serve for a start:

To connect generator:
1- Park generator and chock wheels (maybe chain lock trailer to something, who has the keys?)
2- Place transfer switch in Utility position
3- Make sure generator is not running
4- Open generator output breaker
5- Set generator output voltage to correct one for this site
6- Connect matching power cable to building connector box, make sure it latches
7- Start generator
8- Check output voltage, is it correct?
9- Close generator output breaker
10- On transfer switch- move to generator position

Something so that every move or connection is listed, along with all the checks.

Another thing, if the connector boxes are mounted more than a foot off the ground, provide strain relief for the connectors so the generator-side cable isn't completely hanging from them. Might be as easy as an eye-bolt in the wall and a piece of rope.

guitarchris

this looks promising. I'm thinking I might be able to make up 2 or three cord sets depending on what I see after I do an on-site evaluation of each pump station.

guitarchris

this looks promising. I'm thinking I might be able to make up 2 or three cord sets depending on what I see after I do an on-site evaluation of each pump station.

tkb

I would set each of the sites up the same with cam-lok connectors and a manual transfer switch so you would only need one set of cables for the generator. Then all you would need to do is just configure the output voltage on the generator whenever it gets deployed to a site.

I would set each of the sites up the same with cam-lok connectors and a manual transfer switch so you would only need one set of cables for the generator. Then all you would need to do is just configure the output voltage on the generator whenever it gets deployed to a site.

Normally I would recommend cam-loks, and that was my first thought, but odds-on someone will have to connect this after being pulled out of bed at 2am, in bad weather and with a long drive ahead of them. It's likely that the OP won't always be the person doing it. This is also why I suggest the really detailed instructions*- they're sort of like an aircraft's pre-flight list, you run down the list because it's written, not because it's obvious or memorized.

*laminated and stuck into each connector box, hanging from the transfer switches, and in a compartment on the generator trailer. I don't like surprises.

Status
Not open for further replies.