680.42(c) and new spa wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjtrindc

Been researching this topic for our situation and not sure we've gotten a clear answer. Finishing our basement and while the walls our open we want our contractor to pre-wire for an outdoor hot tub. Due to placement of the hot tub near a sliding door, we want to keep as much wiring inside so as to not cross the threshold or require digging.

Our plan is to run the wire from the hot tub directly into the wall (would cover exposed wiring with conduit), route the wire inside the walls across the top of the slider door into our "works" room. We would then route it back outside directly to a 60a/240 spa disconnect panel. The electrician would then hook the spa panel to the main panel which is back inside the works room.

Does the wiring inside the wall need to be in conduit?

I'm a DIY'er and turning this job over to an electrician, but want to learn as much as I can to ensure job gets done properly.

Thanks in advance.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
No the inside wiring to an outdoor hot tub does not need to be in conduit for a residence

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.