680.42 Outdoor portable spa

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken2lsi

This question is how 680.42 pertains to a traditional portable spa or hot tub. Generally, as defined by part 1 of 680, these units meet the defenition of the following: stationary equipment, pool, self-contained spa or hot tub, self-contained theraputic tub or hydrotheraputic tank, spa or hot tub.

These packaged units generally DO NOT meet the defenition of permanently installed swimming, wading, immersion, and theraputic pools.

So, one would think that part 2 (permanently installed pools) of article 680 does not apply to your every day portable, self contained spa. Specifically, this means equipment grounding conductor can be bare as well as no required general duty GFCI outlet between 10 to 20 feet.

Now if this is the intent of the code why does 680.42 (C) exist?

I think 680.42 needs to be changed to say "...that would otherwise apply to permanently installed pools installed outdoors."

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Ken , it does not matter if the tub is considered a permanent pool. The intent of 680.42 is that a tub installed outdoors needs to be treated the same as a pool.

ken2lsi

Ken , it does not matter if the tub is considered a permanent pool. The intent of 680.42 is that a tub installed outdoors needs to be treated the same as a pool.

Why is part 2 titled "permanently Installed Pools"? Is there a difference between a permanently installed pool and a pool? According to part 1 defenitions, there is.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Why is part 2 titled "permanently Installed Pools"? Is there a difference between a permanently installed pool and a pool? According to part 1 defenitions, there is.

Yes there is but 680.42 says we must use the provisions of a pool when wiring a hot tub installed outdoors. So no a hot tub is not a pool but the NEC is still wanting it wired as if it were a pool.

The bigger question is why is a pool that is above ground and under 42" deep not considered a permanent pool in terms of wiring. So I have a 38" deep pool and it has less stringent rules than a 42" deep pool. WEhy?

ken2lsi

The intent is usually enforced in our area to include part 2. So the insulated ground and the general duty GFCI are required. However I see many installations, as a matter of fact, the majority of installations, that do not comply with the insulated ground or the general duty receptacle. My work is in many cities in the DFW area so there are many AHJ's and most of the smaller ones are not as versed in the NEC as the larger cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.