690.45 applicable to AC systems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csoc64

Had a discussion today with a colleague about increasing the size of EGC for AC PV circuits, Enphase in this case. He was insisting that the EGC needed to be upsized proportionately when ungrounded conductors are increased in size for voltage drop. His reference was 250.122(B). I directed him to 690.45 as evidence to the contrary for PV systems. However, as I read through the section again, it looks like it applies only to PV source and PV output circuits, which to me indicates only the DC side of the system, if I have interpreted the definition of PV source and PV output circuits correctly. Am I interpreting this section correctly? If so, do I now default to 250.122(B) for the AC side and increase my EGC accordingly?

ron

The nice picture provided in 690.1, seems to indicate the AC circuit coming out of and AC module system is a branch circuit, not a PV source or output circuits.

690.45(A) seems to imply the PV source or output circuits get the immunity of no increase, but others need to follow 250.122

csoc64

690.45 does not apply to AC circuits. PV source and output circuits are pretty clearly defined in 690.1

So am I correct that this precludes the use of 6/3 or 8/3 Romex as a wiring method, as the EGC is only #10, and would have to be upsized proportionately to #6 or #8?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
So am I correct that this precludes the use of 6/3 or 8/3 Romex as a wiring method, as the EGC is only #10, and would have to be upsized proportionately to #6 or #8?

For AC circuits? If #6 or #8 is bigger than required for the ampacity of the circuit, then yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.