690.47 D) Bonding a Pole-mounted PV System GE to the Main Service Panel GE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopewell51

With an 8 panel Pole-mounted grounded PV system located less than 100 ft. from the Main Service panel, per 690.47( D) I am required to set a grounding electrode in close proximity to the Pole-mounted PV System.
Do I need to bond the electrode at the Pole -mounted PV disconnect to the Main Service Panel grounding electrode and also run a equipment grounding conductor ground to the Inverter ground buss?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'm going to assume the 2014 NEC applies (since there is no section (D) in 2011 or 2017).

Yes, the code requires a ground rod at the pole. No,you do not need to run a bonding jumper to the service electrode. You do need equipment grounding between all locations.

ArcNSpark

I'm going to assume the 2014 NEC applies (since there is no section (D) in 2011 or 2017).

Yes, the code requires a ground rod at the pole. No,you do not need to run a bonding jumper to the service electrode. You do need equipment grounding between all locations.

FYI this code section has been changed in the 2017 NEC. It's now 690.47 (B), and the language has been changed to be PERMISSIVE, rather than MANDATORY. "Auxiliary GEC shall be PERMITTED."

Saves some labor cost and more importantly, removes that stupid GEC that gives lightning that strikes the ground a perfect path for stray voltage to enter right into the array.

Hope this helps someone!

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
FYI this code section has been changed in the 2017 NEC. It's now 690.47 (B), and the language has been changed to be PERMISSIVE, rather than MANDATORY. "Auxiliary GEC shall be PERMITTED."

Saves some labor cost and more importantly, removes that stupid GEC that gives lightning that strikes the ground a perfect path for stray voltage to enter right into the array.

Hope this helps someone!

I have installed an auxiliary ground rod on a building for a PV array per 690.47(D) exactly twice, and that was because a clueless inspector demanded it for our system to pass inspection. Everyone else has just ignored it.

Status
Not open for further replies.