7 Gang Switch box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aledrell

Custom home HO wants to put 7 switches togather I have never seen a 7 gang decora plate or box. The most I have seen is 6. Is it possibble and please don't say gangable metal cutins :D. Website would be halpful if you know of a product. Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's one such company:

metalplates.jpg

http://www.mulberrymetal.com/

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Custom home HO wants to put 7 switches togather I have never seen a 7 gang decora plate or box. The most I have seen is 6. Is it possibble and please don't say gangable metal cutins :D. Website would be halpful if you know of a product. Thanks.
I would insist on stacking a 4 gang with a 3 gang on the top. A 7 gang plate will cost you dearly-- I bet about $35-$50.

ultramegabob

I would insist on stacking a 4 gang with a 3 gang on the top. A 7 gang plate will cost you dearly-- I bet about $35-$50.

and I would bet it would be a non-stocked special order item from the factory and take forever to get, especially if its decora or a color like light almond. If you go that route, make sure your box is mounted absolutely perfect, if its out of level a hair, it will stick out llike a sore thumb.....

Jim W in Tampa

When dealing with the rich you will not win by telling them it will cost an extra $200. You might win if you tell them it will hold up the finish by 3 months. If they won't listen to reasons of why not to do something then just add in enough extra money to offset the hastle that this will cause. As far as gangable i have 12 switches above my DJ booth to control dance floor lights. Used 3 four gang plate covers. Far cheaper than even 2 six gangs. They can be cut to look good but not perfect. Your likely dealing with highend customers so simply tell them the cost and waiting period and let them pick. I would suggest 2 four gangs either side by side or one over the other.

nakulak

someday I wanna have a custom home with a room where the switches go all the way around the room, but i haven't been able to find a switch box that goes around the corner.

peter d

"99, I asked you not to tell me!"[/center]

:D

But seriously, how else would you make a 7 gang box with readily available and inexpensive parts? I know most of the better supply houses carry the 7G box and ring mentioned in this thread earlier, but if you can't get that what do you do? Gangable metal cutins. :D

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
But seriously, how else would you make a 7 gang box with readily available and inexpensive parts? I know most of the better supply houses carry the 7G box and ring mentioned in this thread earlier, but if you can't get that what do you do? Gangable metal cutins. :D
That's one way. In a big house we did, I found ways to separate the larger bunches of switches into logical groups so I ended up needing nothing larger than 4-gangs.

Some were side-by-sides, some over-and-unders, some just separated a bit. The important things are that it looked good and, as mentioned above, easier to remember.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Instead of a 7-gang, how 'bout using some stack switches?

4swcombo.jpg

Yeah but then you have to consider box fill. A feed in and feed out and 7 lighting loads (not taking into consideration 3-ways) thats 27 times the multiplier depending on whether you do your lights in 12 or 14 guage.

1 for the ground
18 for the hots and neutrals
8 for 4 yokes (stacks switches for three yokes and a single switch for the fourth)

27 x 2 = 54 cub. in (14 guage)
27 x 2.25 = 60.75 cub. in (12 guage)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I would just use a 7 gang box and give the customer what they want. Of course they would be told upfront about the additional cost. I hate ganging cut in boxes together for this type of application.

480sparky

Yeah but then you have to consider box fill. A feed in and feed out and 7 lighting loads (not taking into consideration 3-ways) thats 27 times the multiplier depending on whether you do your lights in 12 or 14 guage.

1 for the ground
18 for the hots and neutrals
8 for 4 yokes (stacks switches for three yokes and a single switch for the fourth)

27 x 2 = 54 cub. in (14 guage)
27 x 2.25 = 60.75 cub. in (12 guage)

I only see one yoke on that switch. And I doubt there's 7 seperate circuits in the OPs situation. Most switches would be on the same circuit, so the pigtails wouldn't count.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I only see one yoke on that switch. And I doubt there's 7 seperate circuits in the OPs situation. Most switches would be on the same circuit, so the pigtails wouldn't count.

But there's going to be 4 switches. My switch boxes have a feed in and feed out. Then there is a NM cable for each lighting load. If there are 7 switches, there are 7 cables, each with a hot, nuetral, and ground. All the grounds are allowed to count as one, but each of the other wires count as one each.

If you're talking about switch legs then your math will be different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.