7 Gang Switch box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

But there's going to be 4 switches. My switch boxes have a feed in and feed out. Then there is a NM cable for each lighting load. If there are 7 switches, there are 7 cables, each with a hot, nuetral, and ground. All the grounds are allowed to count as one, but each of the other wires count as one each.

If you're talking about switch legs then your math will be different.

So just what is the problem ? Should be tons of room.

mdakxotaz

you better buy a label maker ,.. they are never gonna know what is turning on where:D

M.D. I found this website http://www.rightplate.com/

Up top go to "Create a Plate" claims they can make a 7-gang toggle switch style for $45.00, if the homeowner has money this may be attractive to them. Might be a bit more professional than labels which we all know are destined to peel off, specially if your dealing with a 7 switch senario!

wireguru

M.D. I found this website http://www.rightplate.com/

Up top go to "Create a Plate" claims they can make a 7-gang toggle switch style for $45.00, if the homeowner has money this may be attractive to them. Might be a bit more professional than labels which we all know are destined to peel off, specially if your dealing with a 7 switch senario!

are those listed? I see no mention of it on their site.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Your still using switches in high end homes? The new rage for the ultra wealthy is networked touch screens that controls everything from lights, security cameras, stereos, and tv's! Just tap on the menu for what you want to control.

Aledrell

Thanks for all the feed back!

Thanks for all the feed back!

You guys are bunch of funny ...... That's for sure. But in the mix was the info I needed, thanks alot. This home is undergoing a 2000 sq ft remodel and expansion. House is probably 5000 sq ft in a wealthy neighborhood in Phoenix. I went to meet with HO and GC to discuss lighting plan, that already had several hand written change from GC. HO changed everything (woman ofcourse). There is one 6 gang and one 7 gang switch box. I asked her if I could divide them up, told her 5g and 6g were like $50 just for the plate and special order. She don't care she wants what she wants. The 7g came up because she wants to be able to control ALL outside lights from front door. There are several coach lights and site wall post lights, etc, I'm sure it will be an 8g before long. Thanks again.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
And never mind that some of them will be dimmers.

Point being that a 4 gang stack switch application is a horrible idea.

wireguru

You guys are bunch of funny ...... That's for sure. But in the mix was the info I needed, thanks alot. This home is undergoing a 2000 sq ft remodel and expansion. House is probably 5000 sq ft in a wealthy neighborhood in Phoenix. I went to meet with HO and GC to discuss lighting plan, that already had several hand written change from GC. HO changed everything (woman ofcourse). There is one 6 gang and one 7 gang switch box. I asked her if I could divide them up, told her 5g and 6g were like $50 just for the plate and special order. She don't care she wants what she wants. The 7g came up because she wants to be able to control ALL outside lights from front door. There are several coach lights and site wall post lights, etc, I'm sure it will be an 8g before long. Thanks again.

you could totally upsell her on some real lighting controls. Even something simple like a touchplate relay thing for the outside lighting. Then you could put a couple more in the appropriate places.

Aledrell

Lutron Homeworks

Lutron Homeworks

I am finishing a rough on Homeworks and I've done radio RA, Grafik Eye, tend to stick to Lutron I'd like to see a website for the system your referring to. This lady wants this stuff to match the rest of the house Maestro might be as fancy as she gets but we'll see. The GC's mouth drops already when I mention an extra ten bucks, probably because she was supposed to remaodel more of the house and scaled it back now she spending away. :D

Aledrell

I don't see the issue

I don't see the issue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim W in Tampa
So just what is the problem ? Should be tons of room.

55 cubic inches

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylectricity
27 x 2 = 54 cub. in (14 guage)
27 x 2.25 = 60.75 cub. in (12 guage)

And that's not even considering that out of 7 switches, at least 2 of them will be 3-ways. So that's an additional 6 conductors to add 12-13.5 cubic inches
The box mentioned at the begining has 111.5 cubic inches of space so to circuits is 8 and if they were all three ways that's 42 with ground 44 and with devices 14 and RC fifties is 18 max equals 8 +44+14+18 equals 84 right. I'm probably not calculating it right although I plan on ussing 14 gauge for these circuits. Switch legs get calculated differently?:cool:

topgone

Never underestimate the power of a woman! Is there a term called "battered electrician"?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
This sounds like a perfect application for a lighting controller. You could even use normal looking switches but they wouldn't need to be interconnected multi-way devices.

tonyou812

7 gang? can someone say control freak. I really hate it when people want everything seperate. I personally would get really irritated hitting the wrong switch everytime I wanted to turn on a light. Not to mention how ugly it will look. If not the four stacked switch why not cut the box size down with using a few two stacked switches?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If conductor count is really an issue, then just don't bring the neutrals into the 7-gang box. Make up a J-box in the attic or crawl, and just run the hot feed(s) and switch-legs into the switch box.

Now, the count in the 7-gang box will only be 1 hot, 7 legs, 1 EGC, and 14 for the devices. That makes 23 conductors. (Add 1 per additional hot, of course.) The remote J-box can be as large as needed.

Aledrell

LMAO

Right on. I'm am sure she will have me goto to the trophy shop for engraved lables at trim. You know what the funny parts it not the first time I have hed to it. Built some spec home asking price 2.2 mil builder want one continous egraved lable for panel. One for 1,3,5.... and the other for 2,4,6,.....40. Had to have everything perfectly in right in the right spot and remember how to spell again. Has long as the check clears who gives a.........

I am finishing a rough on Homeworks and I've done radio RA, Grafik Eye, tend to stick to Lutron I'd like to see a website for the system your referring to. This lady wants this stuff to match the rest of the house Maestro might be as fancy as she gets but we'll see. The GC's mouth drops already when I mention an extra ten bucks, probably because she was supposed to remaodel more of the house and scaled it back now she spending away. :D

Seems like a good situation for SmartHome Insteon products. Add in some custom etched 6/8 scene control keypads for the exterior stuff...

Aledrell

This system

This system

Seems like a good situation for SmartHome Insteon products. Add in some custom etched 6/8 scene control keypads for the exterior stuff...

Thanks for your advise this system is the poor man's Radio Ra check it out. www.lutron.com/RadioRa/ The starting system for this around $1800. I briefly looked at the inteon and mentions that you can combine this with product with X-10's and I don't care for the quality of that product.

SpiderMT

When I run in to this situation, which seems to come up more and more, I like to use gangable masonry boxes. The extra depth gives you plenty of room for wire and things like dimmer switches which always seem to be used in these lighting control applications. RadioRA, GrafikEye etc. are sometimes a hard sell even for people with an unlimited budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.