70e policy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea why injuries were declining, but will throw in the likelihood that insurance companies had a little to do with it. Start using safer work practices and creating SOP's and you will have less insurance claims, and will be offered lower premiums, or even denied coverage if you don't use these practices. I run into those kind of things a lot anymore. I have work places that they want you to sign in when working on their site, mostly because insurance wants them to do so.

So here is a little statistic:

Fatalities due to electrocution:3278 (2000-2010)
Fatalities due to arc-flash: 34 (2000-2010)

Ratio roughly is 100:1.

NFPA 70E's focus on arc-flash hazard far outweights the focus on electrocution.

kwired

Electron manager
So here is a little statistic:

Fatalities due to electrocution:3278 (2000-2010)
Fatalities due to arc-flash: 34 (2000-2010)

Ratio roughly is 100:1.

NFPA 70E's focus on arc-flash hazard far outweights the focus on electrocution.

Not sure what I think about those stats. A few things that can skew the numbers and the appearance that arc flash gets more attention:

1. Turning off the power to reduce arc flash incidents also reduces electrocution hazards.

2. Is the numbers total general fatalities or just for electrical workers, whether qualified workers or not?

3. If those numbers are just total general fatalities - there is likely more electrocution hazards in general for people not performing electrical work than there is arc flash hazard. An innocent victim can easily contact something unexpected to be energized and be subjected to electrocution, but you often have to be poking around in someplace where you may have no business to have risk of arc flash hazards.

Status
Not open for further replies.