750VDC sheilding

Status
Not open for further replies.

wareisjoey

Hello, first time here. I am trying to find a suitable material for clear shielding to be mounted on GPO3 for arc shielding to isolate 750VDC. I am not finding very much information on required ratings for such applications. Does anyone know if there is a clear plexiglass or other material that is rated for arc blast?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello, first time here. I am trying to find a suitable material for clear shielding to be mounted on GPO3 for arc shielding to isolate 750VDC. I am not finding very much information on required ratings for such applications. Does anyone know if there is a clear plexiglass or other material that is rated for arc blast?
Welcome to the forum.

Depends on the size. There are plenty of Lexan / plexiglass / PMMA viewing window options available on 600VAC Arc Resistant switchgear and MCCs and if you think about it, that's roughly equivalent to 850VDC. But the size of the window is generally limited to 12" x 24" I think.

PS:
I just looked up "GP03" and see that it's glastic, so I'm not as sure about that. The windows I've seen are internally mounted on steel doors.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

You will find no material "rated for arc blast". You would need to build something and submit it to UL and have them test it at the level of arc blast you want to claim it will protect against.

Status
Not open for further replies.