80 amp steamer unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkyV

Occupation
Electrician
I have a couple questions about wiring for an 80 amp shower steam generator.

The unit itself draws 63 amps total at 240 volts.. This means that a 4-2 romex/NM sheathed cable with ground should suffice correct? 334.80 states ampacity shall not exceed that of a 60 degree rated conductor and the 90 degree rating shall be permitted to be used for ampacity and adjustment and correction calculations provided the final derated ampacity does not exceed that of a 60 degree rated conductor. 63 amps is below the 70 amps per 60 degree column which calls out 4 wire.

Also would using SE wire achieve anything different in regards to using the 75 degree column or does 338.10.B.4 put me right back into the 60 degree column.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking time to look at the questions.

-Vince_

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Also would using SE wire achieve anything different in regards to using the 75 degree column or does 338.10.B.4 put me right back into the 60 degree column.
I believe SE is limited to 60 deg, too, but #2 al SE is likely cheaper than #4 cu NM.

SparkyV

Occupation
Electrician
I believe SE is limited to 60 deg, too, but #2 al SE is likely cheaper than #4 cu NM.
Ok, I wasn't sure if SE was still limited to 60 deg but thats what I was coming back to so wanted to get someones opinion . Yeah agreed on the AL to Cu cost but some of these manufacturers are picky and most steam generators I've worked with call out CU wiring only...

Status
Not open for further replies.