800 amp service

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am quoting a new 800 amp 3 phase 277/480v service to a building.There are 4 seperate wharehouses inside this building.I need to feed each space with 200 amp panel.Then use step down transformers.My question is what is the best way to handle the main service part? they want each space sub-metered.Do I use a troughw/ inline meters with disconnects?CT cabinet then use house / read meters.Iknow they dont make a meter stack that will handle 800 amps.Also if i just use a trough how do i make my tap to the parallel feeders.Just make sure there balanced?

pierre

I am not sure if your utility company permits it, but here you can install an 800 amp disconnect. Then load side to a trough and install your 4-200 amp meters with disconnect. Just remember those meters are load side of the service, and are feeders - which means you will need neutral isolation kits for the meters.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: 800 amp service

101010 said:
Iknow they dont make a meter stack that will handle 800 amps.
Not true. I had a multi-use (2 residential apartments and two retail spaces) building fed via an 800-amp service, and had four 200-amp tenant panels and a 100-amp house panels.

I got a 5-meter stack with four 200-amp breakers and one 100-amp breaker from Square D. It bolted beside a termination box, and was made for additional sections if needed.

101010 said:
thanks for the reply.But why do i need a 800 amp disconnect?
You don't, necessarily. The above installation required no main because the feeders terminated within six feet of entering through the floor.

bob

Iknow they dont make a meter stack that will handle 800 amps

Who told you you need an 800 amp main. Just because you have 4 200 amp panels does not dictate a 800 amp main. You need to caculate the loads for the 4 seperate wharehouses. Is it necessary that the meters be grouped outside. If not you can install a main with 4 200 amps breakers and sub meter at each panel using the meters suggested by bdarnell
http://www.emon.com/

pierre

George

I am not sure what "immediately adjacent to" means, as I remember reading elsewhere "adjacent to", but I would say that it is possible to use that exception.

Sort of like pregnant and, really pregnant. :wink:

they had planned to have utility meters.If not I would have put a distribution panel outside and metered inside.

In my area the power co. requires a meter disconnect on 480 volt services, you should check with your's before you quote the job.

dahualin

101010 said:
I am quoting a new 800 amp 3 phase 277/480v service to a building.There are 4 seperate wharehouses inside this building.I need to feed each space with 200 amp panel.Then use step down transformers.My question is what is the best way to handle the main service part? they want each space sub-metered.Do I use a troughw/ inline meters with disconnects?CT cabinet then use house / read meters.Iknow they dont make a meter stack that will handle 800 amps.Also if i just use a trough how do i make my tap to the parallel feeders.Just make sure there balanced?

If the utility company is going to bill the 4 warehouses separately, E-mon meter is not a choice. First, check with utility company if the meter must be installed before service disconnecting means. I think the cheapest way is to install 4 meter sockets (200A) and 4 200A main service disconnects for the 4 warehouses. Tap the service cable in a trough.

If your client is going to bill the 4 warehouses (tenants) separately, E-mon meter is a possible choice. You only need to install one utility meter with CT (800A) and a 800A service disconnet for the building. E-mon meters can be installed anywhere you want but they must be connectted to MDP for metering.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
If they are actual tenants, you better make sure the meters you use are certified revenue quality meters. By that I mean it has to come with paperwork stating just that, otherwise you could get into an issue with the tenants. If it's for internal company usage for budget purposes it doesn't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.