80kw kohler gen for 400 amp residential service

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Customer a proper and preparing for end of world. .
She has a 80 kw 120/240 volt Diesel generator. I personally on my own have never worked with one this large but premise seems the same as a normal 32kw I have installed.
only weird part is the does not want this automatic she wants it manual so she can turn gen off and on to conserve fuel for end times. She did not buy a transfer switch. I got a call into the supplier but its the holidays. I would think Kohler has a specific transfer( or couple) that will allow her to manual turn in on and send a signal to her unit to turn on.

I going to have to size the conductors for the breaker on the unit so that pain. but o well. my main question is on the Manual aspect. Going to dive around kohler sight and look around here the gen

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
But cumbersome for normal customers.
Yes they are. I would contact Kohler, ASCO, or Russelectric to see what they offer. My preference would be Russelectric

Look at their Custom Transfer Switch Solutions.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I would get a regular ATS and modify it for manual operation.
had a thread recently

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Trying to restart a generator with a good sized load still connected would be interesting.
You would need to get it to go in time delay neutral first. Then shut it down.
Of course it would have to be ATS. Manual would be a job to transfer for a small person.
Lots of options. JMO. YMMV

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Trying to restart a generator with a good sized load still connected would be interesting.
You would need to get it to go in time delay neutral first. Then shut it down.
Of course it would have to be ATS. Manual would be a job to transfer for a small person.
Lots of options. JMO. YMMV
Good point.

What ever switch I get for manual would have to have some type of time delay. So like you said motor can start up then switch over. Seems not to bad with a remote start on the gen and a time delay contactor for the load. But that would be already built into the panel.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I would get a regular ATS and modify it for manual operation.
had a thread recently
I’ll get a drawing of the transfer and gen diagram.
Interrupting the start circuit with a switch seems a great and easy option.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Good point.

What ever switch I get for manual would have to have some type of time delay. So like you said motor can start up then switch over. Seems not to bad with a remote start on the gen and a time delay contactor for the load. But that would be already built into the panel.
Of the small manual switches I’ve put in, they usually have a center off position, so the switch could be put in “Off” before restarting the generator.

Birken Vogt

Kohler makes a programmed transition switch that you could use external switches to control. It can be programmed to go into neutral and stay there.

This option plus service rated 400 amp option are likely to be at least 10 grand but I doubt this customer is hurting for money

ATSman

ATSman
Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Electrical Testing & Controls
A manual ATS can be accomplished in many different ways. The only problem I see is that if an operator is not present when the power goes out the load is lost. In a residence this can be a problem with refrigerators, freezers, medical devices, etc.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
A manual ATS can be accomplished in many different ways. The only problem I see is that if an operator is not present when the power goes out the load is lost. In a residence this can be a problem with refrigerators, freezers, medical devices, etc.
It appears they just want to save fuel, so automatic on would probably be ok, but shutting down and restarting without utility.