90A sub panel for new shop/garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sasquatching

New User
Occupation
Retired Eskimo
I'm building a new shop/garage it's 130' away from the 200A service at the house.
I'm a retired industrial electrician working in coal mines , cruise ships and 24 years in an electric power company in the metering and test department.
For residential installations I have little experience but I do want to wire my own shop and run power to the building from the main panel. A friend of mine was in a similar situation and he went with a 90A panel rather than 100A to keep the wire size to the building smaller.
I will be running two 120V conductors , a neutral and a ground.
If I installed a 100A sub panel at that distance I would need to run 2/0 copper cables but a 90A sub panel would get me down to 1/0 wire size .
I've also have gathered that I can still put a 100A panel in my garage and run 1/0 cables provided it is protected by a 90A breaker at the main panel.
I must also install a ground rod at the new shop and separate the neutral from the ground in the sub panel.
Does this sound about right to you experts out there ? Thank you for your patience :)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You are way off on this,,, I am sorry, I know you did electrical work but this is clearly DIY work without the needed experience. Let me direct you to a site that has many electrician willing and able to help.

diychatroom.com

Status
Not open for further replies.