A building with doctor offices Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I want to see what is usually the preferred method for lighting typically for general doctor buildings that consists of doctor exam rooms of 70-120sqft a room. Would you go with 2x2 LED recessed, 2x'4 LED recessed, or recessed LED cans. Assuming all will produce similar FC in the room. I'm going for possibly 30-40FC a room. Thank you

tank728

Occupation
Electrician
I feel 2x4 takes up a large consolidated chunk of ceiling real estate. Usually there are some HVAC diffusers in the ceiling. I would do 2x2.

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
What style of fixture you use isn't that important, you can achieve adequate levels using a variety of fixture styles. I would recommend aiming for a 50fc minimum at 2.5' work plane height, having fixtures with 90 CRI (or better), and making sure you do not rely on a single light source for any type of exam room. Want multiple sources so that the doctor isn't constantly putting him/herself between the patient and the light source.

Arester

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
30-40FC is good for general lighting, however, IES recommends 75 FC for examination. This extra light typically can be accomplished by providing a task light over examination bed – usually something that the doctor can grab and direct where needed. I was providing a GFI receptacle over examination bed at high level (say 54”) where such arm mounted light can be plugged in. You may not need to provide the light but make sure you provide the outlet for this and possibly other equipment.

I suggest using 2x4 which have low surface brightness comparing with cans that squeeze all the lumens through a small opening. There are now pretty economical 2x4 units with opal lens. The patient on the examination table looks up and very bright cans can be uncomfortable.

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
What style of fixture you use isn't that important, you can achieve adequate levels using a variety of fixture styles. I would recommend aiming for a 50fc minimum at 2.5' work plane height, having fixtures with 90 CRI (or better), and making sure you do not rely on a single light source for any type of exam room. Want multiple sources so that the doctor isn't constantly putting him/herself between the patient and the light source.
Good pointers, thank you!!

Cartoon1

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
30-40FC is good for general lighting, however, IES recommends 75 FC for examination. This extra light typically can be accomplished by providing a task light over examination bed – usually something that the doctor can grab and direct where needed. I was providing a GFI receptacle over examination bed at high level (say 54”) where such arm mounted light can be plugged in. You may not need to provide the light but make sure you provide the outlet for this and possibly other equipment.

I suggest using 2x4 which have low surface brightness comparing with cans that squeeze all the lumens through a small opening. There are now pretty economical 2x4 units with opal lens. The patient on the examination table looks up and very bright cans can be uncomfortable.
Yes!! thank you for the outlet comment, good point!

Status
Not open for further replies.