A/C disconnect no-fuse or breaker disco when required???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rt66electric

I am having trouble with a <<<HOME INSPECTOR>>>:mad:

Problem (1) drip loop --- POCO says it is a liitle tight but OK, I Agree with POCO but """ its not just like this on in the reference picture"""

Problem (2) A/C disconnect -- Its original equipment had a OLD brand name no-breaker/moulded switch at 60 amps max. HI requested for it to be replaced I doubt if he knows the differece between a breaker and a molded case switch.. I replaced the old and tired FPE disco with a new no fuse pullout disconnect. The breaker at the panel was replaced with correct size and type -40 amps max.

I prefer a pullout as opposed to a fused disconnect, for the simple reason -- go find fuses at night, the store is 30 miles away.

I have never had a electrical inspector turn me down, but has checked for the correct size breaker in th main panel.

NEC 440..22 requires the correct breaker size for the conductors , but I cannot determine if it is reqired at the panel and/or at the outside disconnecting means.

Is there any another code references or other references (with easy to understand pictures) That I could use to hand to the (@%&&%) college educated and degreed obstinate fellow that has has all the knowledge that a book has to offer.

Then again I could be wrong and will replace the disco for free.

Also: Maybee I could find a reference for a grandfather clause that that states " It was code compliant at the time of constuctution,,,,, no repairs are warranted" ????? to give to the loan agency??

This Inspector/loan agency is really Reaming the homeowner and holding $$$ over a barrell for trivial items.

jwjrw

I use non fuse able disconnects on 99% of my a/c's. HI is not as smart as he thinks he is.:D

Last edited:

jwjrw

Make sure the nameplate on the a/c unit does not say "fuses only". If it does it must have fuses not a breaker BUT they can be located anywhere. Just a disconnect is required within sight of the unit.

iwire

Staff member
Make sure the nameplate on the a/c unit does not say "fuses only". If it does it must have fuses not a breaker BUT they can be located anywhere. Just a disconnect is required within sight of the unit.

Good point about the labeling.:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.