A non-black wire as the base for all phases

Status
Not open for further replies.

ppsh

Occupation
Electrician
I've seen plenty of old installs with red feeders phased out. 90% of feeds I see 100a or larger are black wire phase taped. Colored wire is nice but the lead times don't always work.

Charlypt

Occupation
Electrician
What's wrong with that? I call that smart, I like saving money.

That's your prerogative, I wouldn't hesitate.

So if you had a few hundred feet of 300 KCMIL you would sell it for a fraction of it's real value.

Nobody's "using the code" to cheapen a job, they're being efficient in the use of materials. "Workman Like Manner" is in the eyes of the beholder and the Style Manual actually lists the term as likely unenforceable
👍

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
There is a mill around here that has 12.5Y/7.2kv primary service and 600Y/347, 480Y/277, 240D/120, 240Y/139 and a 208Y/120, the color code for all systems is L1 = Black, L2 = Red, L3 = Blue, white = neutral, except the 240 delta which has orange B phase.
They only seem to care about color coding for phasing. The voltage is labeled on the panelboards and xformers.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
I work on so much crazy foreign machinery, and plants that have been hacked up for 50 years by maintenance guys, that I have learned never to trust colors. I don't trust any conductor until I test it myself

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
So you always use fully colored conductors for your feeders and services? What about when you use cable assemblies? Do you order custom colored runs?
What if it’s Friday and you need black red blue but you have black red yellow on the truck? The customer is expecting the new RTU to be working for the Sat grand opening.

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I would never do it, even if the "Code" says it is allowed. How would you feel it you came upon it ?. Like, who did that ?
It is code code code compliant. Period.
When I became an inspector, I had to approve jobs I would have fired an apprentice for.
There is no issue with the OP's installation.

Ron

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Just left the recycler, here is the results.
All the copper is gone.

Attachments

• Westside Metal Recycling, 04-06-2023 .pdf
    589.1 KB · Views: 41

mtnelect

Occupation
Since you brought it up, how much did all of that wire cost you?

Good question. All that wire recycled today was accumulated during the past 3 months. Which was already included and paid for on past projects.
So ... It was a "Winn Fall".

Charlypt

Occupation
Electrician
Good question. All that wire recycled today was accumulated during the past 3 months. Which was already included and paid for on past projects.
So ... It was a "Winn Fall".
So you decide to recycle the leftover wire and earn, say, $500. In other hand, you have enough cable to complete another project without spending another $2000 on cable. Which option is better?

mtnelect

Occupation
So you decide to recycle the leftover wire and earn, say, $500. In other hand, you have enough cable to complete another project without spending another $2000 on cable. Which option is better?

When I estimate a project ... I estimate by the spool, anything left over is recycled. No more 100's of spools left over wires or cables to choose from.
It's gone in 30 seconds !

Charlypt

Occupation
Electrician
When I estimate a project ... I estimate by the spool, anything left over is recycled. No more 100's of spools left over wires or cables to choose from.
It's gone in 30 seconds !
Good for you. But what happens if a project is canceled and you already bought the wire, for example, or you get a roll of wire at a ridiculous price, or for any other reason you have a lot of wire. So you're going to tell me that recycling it is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.